Having Fun...

I had a lot of fun last night at an appointment. I had door knocked the lead, his friend answers the door, said to come back, I had to come back twice for this guy, but when I saw his friend/roommate, I asked if he wanted to sit in on the presentation to see if this is something he might want for himself. He's said sure.

Well last night at 7:30 was the appointment. Both there, place must've had over 10 cats, [quick Newby/JD, what level is that for cat lady/man?] I sat down, talked conversationally about things. Cats were jumping all over the place, like it was a jungle or something. It was so much fun connecting with these people, trying to find similarities that we share in common. I guess thats the thrill with it besides the money, getting to poke into other lives hear their stories.

Turns out the friend's (both are 65) brother was a health nut, and just peeled over and died of a massive coronary. The lead guy's daughter recently died and his wife died previously awhile ago. I told them of my mother passing away a few years ago, and it was humanizing to see this aspect of people, raw, emotional over this subject that isn't really talked about in our culture, death and dying!

In my presentation I ask them if they prefer burial or cremation, they said they were Catholic and so they needed to be buried (since when was that a Catholic tradition, don't remember that growing up). I costed out some averages for fees. Added up the price, showed them an inflation graph I made, and showed them that in 10 years it will be X amount of dollars, and in 20 years it will reach Y amount of dollars. I point to the inflated figures and told them one of these amounts will be what a funeral director asks for the day after the good lord calls them home (I saw greg use it and alot of people like that).

It was funny to see them remind each other over and over of each other's circumstances, it's almost as if they were closing each other. Not only did they both buy, they both want me to review their medicare, shop their auto and home for them (found a p/c broker that splits 50/50 advanced for biz).

On top of it, they had a letter for final expense by a certain company that talked about benefits canceling at age 80, I couldn't have asked for it to be any easier, I simply pointed out that my plan is guaranteed for life! Maybe before each of my appointments I will mail a crappy FE brochure to them anonymously then come to the rescue and show them something guaranteed lol.

Anyways, there are always prospects and cases that stand out, for better or for worse. I just liked this appointment because it bloomed into a nice case, and I got to relate to these guys on a personal level (thats my psychology background for you) while they sold each other.

Last edited:
In my presentation I ask them if they prefer burial or cremation, they said they were Catholic and so they needed to be buried (since when was that a Catholic tradition, don't remember that growing up).

Being Catholic as well, growing up this was part of Catholic teaching, cremation was not an option, you must be buried in consecrated ground.

My grandmother, a very devout Catholic woman, told she was taught being cremated was like telling God - NOW, put me back together.

Not sure I buy THAT view but yes, in my CCD classes we were also taught cremation was not acceptable.

Good story too, and sounds like it was fun except maybe the Feline Floor Show!

My grandmother, a very devout Catholic woman, told she was taught being cremated was like telling God - NOW, put me back together.

What a strange way to teach a belief. If I were to really think on that, I'd be cremated for sure, cause thinking about God actually using my dead, rotting body to 'put me back together' is gross! :D Thankfully, I'm not Catholic, and plan on being cremated, so no guilt for me. My view is that I'm done with that body, so why box it up and take up space in the ground?

but, back to the OP, I love cases like that, where you really connect with your clients. Makes you feel great about your job. I like all my clients, but I definitely have a better connection with some of them. :yes:
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Now that you mentioned it, they did say something about being buried on consecrated grounds...

that was a HUGE deal back in the dark ages, when the Catholic church reigned supreme, just before the Protestant Revolution. In fact, it was one of the reasons that Luther tried to reform the Catholic church. Between that practice and the practice of buying your dead relatives out of Purgatory, he saw some major issues in the Catholic church.

Last edited:
Many Catholics would never consider cremation because the Catholic church did NOT allow it until around 1998.

In 1998 they changed their "ruling" to you CAN be cremated but you should first have a Catholic funeral mass at the church with the body present. Then the body can be cremated and the cremains MUST be buried in a Catholic cemetery. Under no circumstances are Catholic cremains to be scattered.

Not all Catholics follow this but most active Catholics do.

Now that you mentioned it, they did say something about being buried on consecrated grounds...

Back in the day, this was true, but because my mother wanted to be cremated, I checked into it. It's not considered a sin-amazing since almost everything else is :twitchy:

Since we are putting her in consecrated ground, I guess the church is ok with it. I checked with the diocese in Lansing, MI & they said this was "acceptable".

Many Catholics would never consider cremation because the Catholic church did NOT allow it until around 1998.

In 1998 they changed their "ruling" to you CAN be cremated but you should first have a Catholic funeral mass at the church with the body present. Then the body can be cremated and the cremains MUST be buried in a Catholic cemetery. Under no circumstances are Catholic cremains to be scattered.

Not all Catholics follow this but most active Catholics do.

thanks for that tip! I wonder what other type of religious burying rituals exist, muslims, asians, or jews? anybody know? (i know being asian isn't a religion)

On top of it, they had a letter for final expense by a certain company that talked about benefits canceling at age 80, I couldn't have asked for it to be any easier, I simply pointed out that my plan is guaranteed for life! Maybe before each of my appointments I will mail a crappy FE brochure to them anonymously then come to the rescue and show them something guaranteed lol.

lol that is actually a good idea I think. I am a knocker, but I do run appointments. I may have to try that when I have an appointment a few days out. Right now I just carry an AARP Term brochure with me, but it would be more powerful if they had received it themselves.

Back