Hearing With Department Of Insurance

want2help

Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone has any advice on what I need to do. I applied for a Life and Health license for the state of california. They told me they were going to deny my application. I then asked for a hearing. My goal is to at least come out of the hearing with a probational license. Here's why they denied my app:

I have 3 dui' and 3 public intoxication all occuring from 2003 -2007.

Because of that, they said they deny my application because:

1.) it wasn't in the public's interest to allow me to get licnesed to sell insurance

2.) a continual willful and disregard for the law

3.) out of pure ignorance and stupidity, I didn't disclose my first DUI because, being it was so long ago, I thought it was irrelevant. because i made this dumb mistake, they basically stated that i have integrity issues and that I am not honest.

HEre's the thing, when I applied for the license, I had already stopped drinking. In fact, I haven't gotten drunk for over 2 years. Thank you Yeshua HaMasiach (Jesus Christ) for that one. My life is straightened out, don't have any mishaps with the law because of I dont drink anymore.

What can you guys advise?? does anyone have any experience??

Your guys' help will be appreciated!

The lack of disclosure of the first one is what will be the problem. The regulators have zero tolerance for that kind of stuff.

First off, they nor most anyone else will care less about ur 2 years of being off the bottle. I congratulate you though!

If it were me, I'd go into that hearing/meeting and kiss some butt but dont lie or withhold ANYTHING from them. Just give them the honest to God truth and hope for the best. They could care less that you are sober now. The records you withheld is probably what bothers them. Did you think they would not uncover that in a background check!?!?!?

I am no MILLION DOLLAR producer but I was scared to death that I would not be able to sale insurance with my past history of owing the IRS and severely behind on child support. Both combined, you could buy a very nice home. I asked people on this forum their advise (u can look it up, it was my first post) and MOST gave me their honest advice. One was an a$$hole and a few were well intentioned but were not correct.

My point is this: I had an issue with finances due to an ugly divorce and lost my business. Mixed reviews as to if I could get licensed. Thankfully, I did. Yours is due to from the sound of it, a few arrests and drinking problem, AND the fact you withheld that on the application.

I am sure others will contribute as well but if I were you, I would simply go in, MAKE NO EXCUSES, tell them like you told us. The first one was so long ago you thought it didnt count but in hindsight you could see whay they feel the way they do for YOU withholding/lying that info., and apologize and tell them ur own reason u wanna get licensed. Don't lie, be truthful! I am sure they have heard it all. Tell them u screwed up!

I'd much rather an insurance agent that was trying to sale me something come back and tell me he screwed up and the monthly premium is now 40 bucks more a month, instead of finding out he lied to me.....u get the point)

I had to write a book to explain my case and they approved me to take my license test, even with my rough credit history at the time.

And if all else fails, ask/plead with them to give u that probational license u mentioned before. so that u can prove yourself.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck my friend!

timamr is right. You will need utmost honesty. You will need to go in with all humility and respect. Be careful not to spin!

You've credited Jesus for your recovery. When you have your hearing, answer their questions as though you were answering Jesus (see Romans 13:1-2, and Colossians 3:17). Yes, be THAT honest!

Thank you guys for good and HONEST advice. I did think it would have been pulled up but honestly thought it would be irrelevent being it so long ago. Do you guys think character reference letters would help? I do plan on going there dressed absolutely sharp, haircut, and all. I will be honest because God tells me to be honest.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Thank you Shonceman. I can't PM yet but your words have not only encouraged me but reminded me that I need to put my trust in God. Thanks again brother. Blesssings and Shalom.

Last edited:
Do you guys think character reference letters would help?

A good Character reference from a good source can't hurt... Good Luck...

You could also hire a Lawyer. A good Lawyer would know what arguments to make to see that you get a license...

Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone has any advice on what I need to do. I applied for a Life and Health license for the state of california.

Quick question....if you had a lic who were you going to work for.....

Back