HHS Marketplace / Exchange Stakeholder Conf Call

What major medical policy did Judy have, I wonder? I've never seen one with a lifetime limit as low as $2 million. What's the highest long-term chronic illness payout any of your clients have experienced? I have one who was up to $3.2 million after 7 years of ongoing stroke-related treatments.
-ac

When I started back in 96 the major medicals had a $1 million lifetime max and then around 2005 went to $2mil and then later to 5 and now sky is the limit.

Q&A was 20 questions long but here were some meant for us:
1. When will you issue guidance, rules & regs for brokers and agents: Answer - later.
2. How will agents and brokers be paid? Answer - we expect the issuers (insurance companies) to do that
3. If April 30th is the deadline for insurance companies to send their QEHB's for approval, when will you release those so we know which insurance companies are participating in the Exchange/Marketplace? Answer - September.
4. How can we actually see those plans? Answer - go to healthcare.gov, put in your state, and those plans will appear when they are ready.

Wouldn't you love to be a fly on the wall of Kathleen Sebelius's office during the MAY-SEPT timeframe? That's when she'll use Strong-Arm tactics, Bribes, and have Fish wrapped in newspaper delivered to headquarter offices, and homes, of the Health Insurance Company CEO's.

Sebelius certainly knows that the new 2014 Qualified Health Plan premiums submitted on April 30th will be through the roof and needs 4 months to work at getting them down before officially approving them. I hope health insurers will have the backbone to stick to their guns...or we'll be looking at less than 5% commission on QHP's.
-ac

Cohen: ACA Guidance For Insurance Brokers, Agents Coming Soon.

CQ (3/19, Adams, Subscription Publication) reports, "The federal government will soon give insurance agents and brokers details on the role they will play in the operation of the health care law's new marketplaces, officials overseeing the exchange implementation said on a national call with stakeholders on Monday." Gary Cohen, Director of HHS' Center for Consumer Information and Insurance Oversight, said, "'We very much look forward to participation by agents and brokers,' both to assist individuals and small businesses." He also explained "that federal officials had a phone call last week with trade organizations representing agents and brokers to work through details about implementation and that he expects a guidance document with further information to be released 'soon.'"

Ohhhhhh everybody cant wait for queen Sebelius to throw us a commie bone. Ohhh maybe I can put it into my rock soup. yummy

I would take 5% commission on $1k premiums...

I'll do it for 5% (and perhaps less) after the client has completed the subsidy calculation step on their own. It appears that subsidy qualification and plan-choice/application will be two separate tasks.
-ac

I'll do it for 5% (and perhaps less) after the client has completed the subsidy calculation step on their own. It appears that subsidy qualification and plan-choice/application will be two separate tasks.
-ac

yes it will... how can we quote a price without knowing the subsidy number? so yes, 2 step process

next.... I don't know it I will do it for 5% anymore, cant see me doing it for less.... I may enroll all my existing clients and then just go off the chain and do non exchange plans... and medicare of course

the non exchange plans looks to be the market of markets....

the non exchange plans looks to be the market of markets....
Tater I don't get it. How can a non exchange plan that is supposed to have the same benefits (high cost high dollar) as exchange plans, yet without a subsidy, be an attractive market?
Again I just don't get it. Help me brother.

Last edited:
HealthGuy, if a particular plan is sold BOTH in the Exchange and the private market, then the benefits, rates and commission must be identical.

However, the private market will have many choices that are not in the exchange.

So, for instance, "Plan Silver14" with a tiny network from insurance company ABC must have the same rates, benefits & commissions as its identical twin in the private market. But the private market can sell "Plan Silver14" with a huge network and still have lower rates. Or they can do "Plan Silver15" in the private market but not in the Exchange. There will be a lot more choices in the private market.

Note that the example I used above is applicable to the Federally Facilitated Exchanges (FFE), of which your state of TX is one. It may not apply to all states, particularly California, who is running their exchange their own way.

By the way, I have chosen the term "private market" instead of "outside the Exchange" when talking to my clients.

Last edited:
HealthGuy, if a particular plan is sold BOTH in the Exchange and the private market, then the benefits, rates and commission must be identical.

However, the private market will have many choices that are not in the exchange.

So, for instance, "Plan Silver14" with a tiny network from insurance company ABC must have the same rates, benefits & commissions as its identical twin in the private market. But the private market can sell "Plan Silver14" with a huge network and still have lower rates. Or they can do "Plan Silver15" in the private market but not in the Exchange. There will be a lot more choices in the private market.

Note that the example I used above is applicable to the Federally Facilitated Exchanges (FFE), of which your state of TX is one. It may not apply to all states, particularly California, who is running their exchange their own way.

By the way, I have chosen the term "private market" instead of "outside the Exchange" when talking to my clients.

he aint in texas.... he is up north... he should be arrested for state livability fraud

Back