High deductible Plan G UHC

sangeet

Would love to hear the pros and cons of selling this plan. Going for some training later in May. Thank you.

Caveat, I am not an agent. I am a Medicare Beneficiary covered with an HDF plan.

Here are two recent threads that contain discussion about the HD Medigap plan option.

Another agent comment I have seen in older threads about the HD Medigap plans is: Clients tend to have short memories about your (agent's) explanation of plan details and call agent back when they (client) have to make all those doctor bill payments under the plan.

I had a client a few years ago that wanted me to switch him from G to HDG.

A few months later he complained that HDG "isn't paying anything" . . . so I changed him back to regular G.

My "go to" is regular G. When they want a lower premium, I show the HDG.

They pick the G . . .

I have 4 clients on HDG. All of them are likely to go to doctors who don't participate in Medicare at all, or maybe going to chiropractors they like who will bill Medicare but not an MA plan. The first one I wrote is a person who just doesn't want a PDP either. If I recall, they would have had a penalty by the time we talked about plans and they don't take prescriptions. The rest of potential clients are mostly not too excited about the savings vs the out of pocket potential. If the person has money but isn't too healthy, I would rather they choose G or N. I rarely bring up the HD plans unless there is a kind of alternative mentality vibe, & it's not often.

I mention HDG, but rarely sell it. I literally have one person. Its too confusing for people honestly. Then just watch some other agent will swap them to MAPD.

. Its too confusing for people honestly.

Odd . . .

I find MAPD confusing, even though I spent 30 years writing managed care plans for individuals and groups.

Prior authorizations and surprise billing (especially from non-par providers) are just two of the reasons I won't offer them.

I mention HDG, but rarely sell it. I literally have one person. Its too confusing for people honestly. Then just watch some other agent will swap them to MAPD.
Caveat, not an agent.

I do not make a living trying to sell these things and deal with explaining them to people.

I use an HDF plan. It does get to be something of a recordkeeping problem if you have to deal with 50-60 provider invoices in the course of a year. However, I personally find it easier to understand than a Plan N and the HDF also includes coverage for excess charges in the event I would incur some of those.

The biggest confusion I have is the differences in CMS MEOB claims processing for claims under the initial Part B deductible and the claims processing after the Part B deductible is met. I have to stop and rethink that through each year for those doctor visit claims processed under the Part B deductible provisions.

Odd . . .

I find MAPD confusing, even though I spent 30 years writing managed care plans for individuals and groups.

Prior authorizations and surprise billing (especially from non-par providers) are just two of the reasons I won't offer them.

Unlike commercial managed care with MA PPO and HMO all charges at a in network hospital for inpatient cost are bundled as a daily copayment no matter if OON physicians were used .Same for emergency room and on HMO for outpatient surgery .The only time i see " surprise billing" on MA where the member actually owes the amount on bill is on PPO's were a member went to an out of network doctor and doctor office didn't make it clear they were OON

Back