Highest Increase Estimate Ive Seen

Young people (particularly young men) will see high rate increases. Maybe in states like Ohio those young men may see 400%, if they had formerly been insured under a high deductible plan, and now must increase benefits to Obamacare mandated levels. But otherwise, I would expect most states to see 50% to 300% for those who are currently insured under an Individual/Family plan.

If I hadn't seen the date of this article, I would have thought it was one from many months ago. The insurers have already submitted their 2014 premiums to the various state exchanges and they already know what they WILL BE charging. It's not a guessing game any more.

What we in the agent community need to see are the premiums from companies in the state(s) where we do business. Then, we'll have enough information to instill urgency into the non-subsidy-eligible prospects.
-ac

I heard today that IL carriers have a grand total of 4 (that's four) days to amend plans and rates if the state has questions on their submissions.

I heard today that IL carriers have a grand total of 4 (that's four) days to amend plans and rates if the state has questions on their submissions.

I wonder if states that either allow the feds to run the exchange, or have a state-federal partnership can DENY premium increases that seem to be excessive? Currently, Illinois can gripe, but the state cannot deny, or reduce the amount of a premium increase. Perhaps that's not true with these 2014 Exchange health plans, now that HHS is a "partner"?
-ac

Wow. Those numbers will disrupt the market. We've predicted this for years, but now that the insurers have already filed their premiums with HHS for exchanges, and are ready to file them with DOI's, this becomes concrete.

Back