HOA.. roof damage 3 years ago!!

evolver24

Hi,

I wanted some insight on what are some possible options here because of this situation.

So I purchase a townhouse in Colorado Springs on October 1st, 2020 which has an HOA. A few weeks ago, the HOA sent me a letter stating that there was a loss on May 8, 2018, and because of the hail damage that occur that day the roof need to be replaced.

In that letter it stated that Im obligated to pay my portion of the damage which is 5.5k

From my standpoint, why would i have to pay 5.5k for roof damage when i wasn't the home owner at that time?

Would i have any legal stand here if had to get a lawyer?

Again, any insight would help.

thanks

From my standpoint, why would i have to pay 5.5k for roof damage when i wasn't the home owner at that time?

Because that's the kind of thing you agree to when you buy into an HOA. Have you bothered to read the CC&Rs and by-laws to learn your obligations?

Would i have any legal stand here if had to get a lawyer?

Wouldn't hurt to talk to a lawyer but I'm not sure it's a good idea to spend thousands on lawyer fees that you don't get back. You might even have to pay the HOA's lawyer fees if you lose. That's probably in the CC&Rs, too.

Didn't you have the house inspected during the escrow inspection contingency? Hail damage would have been noticed and could have been addressed with the seller at that time.

Again, any insight would help.

Check your homeowners policy and see if you have Loss Assessment coverage. Might pay for the assessment.

short answer - because when you buy into a property with an HOA, you are not only buying the unit, but also buying the HOA and their rules, regulations, and requirements.

Hi Everyone, thanks for your response and, im going to follow up with the HOA and it look like my policy has a HO-6, that cover incidents like this.

thanks again.

One other thing to consider....When was the community first placed on notice? If it was prior to your purchase date you might have a claim against the prior owner for concealment or non-disclosure

One other thing to consider....When was the community first placed on notice? If it was prior to your purchase date you might have a claim against the prior owner for concealment or non-disclosure

i would completely agreed, i would assume that he would have known. i would have to look at the seller disclosure.

Back