Hobby Farm/ Small Agri

lukifer

Expert
Alabama
Finding it hard to find a company to get appointed with who does small agriculture type policies. I have a few potential clients who do hobby farming/ homesteading and want sell their products at market, but would like to have everything in one policy if possible.

Too small for commercial ag, but too big for homeowners (Allstate is threatening to non-renew one of them). Thoughts on which company would work or if there is an MGA/ wholesaler who has access to these kinds of companies?

Nationwide E&S/Specialty (formerly Scottsdale Insurance Co) would probably write it. Many E&S brokers have access. A Farm and Ranch package for such a risk will probably cost more than the usual HO policy.

The trouble with hobbyists who want to sell their products is that they flinch when they find out how much the proper products liability insurance will cost compared to the dollars they make.

Scottsdale keeps popping up across a few different niches people ask me about.

As far as the balking at price, thats what I tell them.... it's not going to be the same price as they are used to.

Thanks for the insight!

Rather than go to a surplus lines type second tier carrier for AG, refer it out to an Ag expert with Farm Bureau. They will likely need to refer you a lot of risks they can't handle or are not competitive.

Otherwise, find an ind appointed with Hastings, Secura, pioneer or Fremont mutual. Or maybe Auto Owners

Better to get the right coverage instead of a HO policy that could deny all claims due to Age exposure they didn't know about, etc

Latest posts

Back