Hospital / Health Insurance

cpn4388

I'm not complaining about how much my insurance covered for my hospital stay, but can anyone tell me if a one night hospital stay should cost $141,000 ? I was in for an appendectomy.

I'm not complaining about how much my insurance covered for my hospital stay, but can anyone tell me if a one night hospital stay should cost $141,000 ? I was in for an appendectomy.
I recently had a Urolift. Outpatient. No incision(went through the peepee hole). In and out in 2 hours. Over $60,000. Still, $141,000 sounds steep for 1 night.

My portion is $28K after insurance. I don’t have major medical. Is that what you mean by repricing?
No way to determine if that figure is valid or not, but probably not. Long story short, medical bills always start with a large number that almost nobody pays. Then there are reductions (repricing) made to it. You should look for a number that is identified as "patient responsibility" or something similar.

Since you do not have insurance, you should also visit with the hospital billing department, they should have programs that can help.

My portion is $28K after insurance. I don’t have major medical. Is that what you mean by repricing?

Yeah, that's a problem . . .

In addition to what Lee posted, the hospital may seek to put you on Medicaid, depending on your income and other factors.

The finance office at the hospital will look at your income and assets . . . much like applying for a bank loan . . . to determine your credit worthiness and how likely you are to pay them back.

What kind of insurance do you have? Who is the carrier? What is the benefit structure? Is "everything" (that is covered) a flat copay? What is your alleged out of pocket maximum? Why don't you have a major medical policy?

An appendectomy usually starts with a visit to the ER then admitted from there. This is not a scheduled event.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back