How 184 Calls Turned Into a 2.9 Million Dollar Fine

Calling cells is a big no-no these days. It's a shame because it would be a lot easier for people in sales if they just had to OPT in to a do not call list instead of being automatically on one.

This might be a silly/rookie question, but I had planned on buying lists for cold calling to set appts. What steps can I take to make sure I am compliant? $16k per violation.. that would wipe me out quickly.

This might be a silly/rookie question, but I had planned on buying lists for cold calling to set appts. What steps can I take to make sure I am compliant? $16k per violation.. that would wipe me out quickly.

It's too hard to be compliant. You have two options... break the law or don't cold call...

A good first step would be to visit donotcall.gov and register for a SAN. You can read about the laws there too.

A good first step would be to visit donotcall.gov and register for a SAN. You can read about the laws there too.

There are additional challenges here that are worth mention. To acquire the ENTIRE national DNC list the cost would be $ 15K for the year. State specific lists via the donotcall.gov are cheaper depending on area codes you select. Keep in mind you would need to scrub your lists every 30 days to ensure compliance.

However this doesn't protect you 100% as there are many states that have their own DNC list the State of Florida is one that comes to mind. Florida Department of Agriculture & Consumer Services heads up prosecution in matters of Violation of Florida's DNC laws.

This being said you need to look at each States calling laws in addition to the Federal laws. The last thing you want to do as an agent is Jeopardize penalties in addition to potential issues with the DOI.

Last edited:

Thank you. I just applied for the SAN for 3 area codes nearest my area. I read through the overview and it did seem to be pretty straight forward. I appreciate the help. (again!) :)

Back