How Did You Study for the Exam?

Having been in and out of this business a couple of times I have taken both L&H and the 6&63 exams twice. Here is what I have done successfully. Take the cheapest pre-licensing course that I can find that fulfills the requirement (I'm a tightwad). Get a computer based practice exam and take the questions over and over until I can score close to 90. Go take the exam. I have always passed with scored that ranged from the low 80's to the high 90's. The only time I had a problem was on the 63 when I had a bunch of questions that were not covered in the practice exam (crappy practice exam) and I barely passed. I have never studied a book.

I used a blend of this and the book. I immediately started taking the tests to see what I knew and didn't know. Get the answer, and if it was logical then I remembered it. If I didn't have a clue as to why then I went back to read in the book until I understood. I took the L&H twice, passed both (license lapsed for a couple years) and passed the P&C on first try as well. Was much faster and more effective learning for me than reading the book cover to cover. Remember the test tries to confuse you more than question your knowledge so go slow and read the questions carefully.

Just schedule the test. Once you have a "due by date" you will automatically study more efficiently. It forces you to focus because the other way it is simply too dry of material to tolerate. IMO.

The method that was shown to me and I used to get my 220,215,216,218 (P&C and Life and Health) I will call the 3 check method. First I had to attend the required state courses in Florida. Then i purchased the flash cards of questions. The method is read the card answer the question if you get it right you put a check mark on the card. Once you get three checks on the card you take it out of the stack. You do this until you have no cards left.
ALSO do not try to learn insurance at this time. Learn to pass the test. Then read this forum to learn actually what goes on.
Do you remember where you got your flashcards? I'm taking the Florida 220 exam in a month and I'm very nervous.

Please note, I am not an agent, nor do I hold an insurance license.

I purchased an old examFx book, and separately, a set of examFx flash cards on eBay in order to attempt some basic familiarity with insurance vocabulary and concepts. I am most interested in Health ins and can't make any comments beyond that area.

I found the link below by searching for examFx flash cards:
Insurance Exam FX Flashcards | Quizlet
I don't know how complete this is in relation to your needs, or what other online resources you might find with searching.

agent2011 that posted above has indicated in the past that he has online materials, including flashcards, available. You would have to speak with him about Texas vs your state's orientation of the materials.

From all the reading I have done in forum threads about the exam, I think that many who have successfully passed the exam believe that xrac's post above, backed up to some extent by donamese's more in depth study steps, shows the most direct route to passing the exam.

Best of luck with the test.

How many chapters or sections are in your study guide? I tried to read the entire book of course work and then test questions and found my eyes wandering after an hour or so. I set upon reading one chapter or section, taking the test, and leaving the books closed for the rest of the day. I found myself allocating about 2 hours per day and acing the tests. Good Luck

Back