How Do You Identify a Medicare Secret Shopper?

I guess the odds of getting secret shopped are greater when doing group MA meetings?
I've done 1000's of PDP's since 2006.
These were all one on one.
Never had a complaint.
I guess the SS are more focused on the rogue MA agents.

Apparently you missed the point that it was usually CMS vs the carriers. I suppose not much since in splitting hairs, but if we're splitting hairs, then splitting hairs we are.

Nope. The point I'm making is you said I was assuming. I simply said I wasn't assuming. I know for a FACT it was the carrier performing their own internal secret shopping.

You can always spot a secret shopper because they ask specifically worded questions and they write everything down you say.
When I spot one i start talking straight to them, they get very nervous and the questions stop lol.

Nope. The point I'm making is you said I was assuming. I simply said I wasn't assuming. I know for a FACT it was the carrier performing their own internal secret shopping.

Fair enough.

Did they tell you about this before it happened?

It is also a CMS violation to tell other agents it is a violation to try to identify a SS

I hope disclosing this to you on an internet forum isn't a CMS violation too

It is, my quote means you will be sanctioned. Please stop marketing all Medicare products.

"It is also a CMS violation to tell other agents it is a violation to try to identify a SS.":

Yo Google This: You win the thread. Good stuff.:D

How do you spot them? If they look to be under age 65, supposedly shopping plans for mom, dad, uncle……whatever.
I won’t play that game anymore. Just hand them my card and a pre-sale kit for the county they are asking about and tell them to have the person who needs plan info call me directly.

Or at a sales presentation they fit in the mix, age wise but bring a clip board or folder, ask specific questions and obviously write everything down. Those people I target and put the shoe on the other foot. I have handed a secret shopper a pen and told them with a smile and sarcasm, that I don’t want them to run out of ink before they complete their report. Others I have showed my copy of their check list/report and said let’s compare notes when done to make sure you covered every point correctly. I’d sure hate for you to be put on the spot by me, which I will do if you turn in erroneous information. Your name and/or ID number will be revealed to me if there is a sales allegation.

Last AEP I was shopped at informal sales events by 2 poorly trained idiots. One of them flat out lied on her report about her time of arrival (among other points). The event was long over, so I asked her to sign a SOA. She refused, even after explaining to her 5 times why the SOA is required for a F2F. So I refused to give any plan info. They were both hired by TrendSource who in turn were hired by carriers.

I also refuse to deal with anyone that calls and can’t tell me who referred them or how they got my name and number.

I am a professional full time insurance agent that does the right thing for every client, every time.
It ticks me off to no end that we are to be judged by part time, poorly trained people that have no or very little clue about this business, CMS rules and regulations (as ludicrous as some of the stuff they expect us to abide by is) .

At the very least shoppers should be mandated to take AHIP, just like the rest of us.

"How do you identify a Medicare Secret Shopper?"
Tell the suspected SS to "blow you".
If you hear from CMS, you have been SS'd.
If you hear from your state DOI, not a SS.

I have been secret shopped plenty of times. I have been told after the fact my results. Always good (knock on wood) but, I don't know if they always tell you. I would hope if you do something wrong, they will let you know so that you can correct it.

Some clues I have noted when being shopped...they are typically younger and not disabled...always want to meet in a public place...always say they have POA of a parent and are shopping around...never enroll and never call you back.

I have been shopped at almost every seminar and one year they would come up and tell us, they were our secret shoppers. Last year they didn't and I have not done seminars this year so I don't know but, here is what I noted over the years:
They always arrive about 30 minutes before the seminar starts and don't talk much...they always take notes...they always ask some questions to try to trick you...they always leave after they finish their dessert and they don't ask many questions after the seminar during dessert time...eventually, you will get to know them because they come back every year!!! Just always try to be on your A GAME and you will be fine!! :-)

----------

How do you spot them? If they look to be under age 65, supposedly shopping plans for mom, dad, uncle……whatever.
I won’t play that game anymore. Just hand them my card and a pre-sale kit for the county they are asking about and tell them to have the person who needs plan info call me directly.

LOVE IT!!:D I will have to try this. I really didn't know we could do this. I did say I would ask them to bring the POA along and then we can talk but, I read somewhere they don't even have to produce the POA...but have to be prepared to produce it after enrolling in a plan if they are asked? I could have this all wrong

----------

I did have a suspected secret shopper NO-Show at a restaurant. Then, somehow I was accused of being a NO-SHOW at an event I didn't even have scheduled. SMDH. they screw up too!

Last edited:
Back