How much does the at fault party insurance cover for car rental?

dv8

an accident caused damages to several parked vehicle including mine. We're still waiting for the final police report and the other party's insurance info to file a claim. In the mean time, I need to rent a vehicle to get around. Is there a "dollar" amount that I need to stay under or is it car class to be safe?

I need to rent a vehicle to get around. Is there a "dollar" amount that I need to stay under or is it car class to be safe?

There is no dollar limit on a third party liability claim. You get what their insured is "legally liable" to pay you.

However, negligence law says you must mitigate your damages by incurring only a reasonable expense. What's reasonable? What a judge or jury says it is.

Meantime, if you overdo it and the company pays only part of it, you'll spend money on a lawyer (that you won't get back) and probably not get the additional.

My advice: Get the lowest cost vehicle that will get you from point A to point B unless you have a justifiable need for something different. Or see if the insurance company will rent one for you.

Keep in mind that you pay for your own gasoline. At $5 a gallon these days, you'd be wise to rent an economy car.

Thanks everyone

I have a plug in hybrid sedan. I happen to have elite status with my preferred rental company. If they pay by the vehicle class, then it will be a non issue since I only pay for mid size and can select almost any car class I like except for luxury.

Back