How Old Are FE Agents?

I had a guy in my continuing education class two months ago was 92 years old his wife brought him in a wheel chair and he had on oxygen God bless this guy 92 years old and he was in CE classes he sold insurance for 71 years and still does one or two policies a year he said now thain 197t is fantastic. This is true very true

Man, can you imagine his renewals!!!!!

I'm 61 (when the hell did that happen) and will probably do this till I'm around 70 while I'm trying to figure out what I want to be when I grow up. I didn't get my Series 7 till 2007 when I was 53, but right now it seems like that was like.....last October!

But as far as sales for older guys because of the job market, I started with sales in 1975 or so at the age of 22 and never looked back. Straight commission for the past 40 years now and wouldn't have it any other way. Just wish I would have learned of selling things that paid trails and renewals before I was in my 50's.

Actually, I do know what I want to be, I want to be a rock and roll star. Excuse me, I better go practice some more.

Last edited:
What's with the Leos and big mutuals? Started with Met Life in 1984. My birthday is Aug 12

I was born in 1984... :)

Not many "younger" guys doing this. That's OK with me.

Grateful for insurance. My renewals rival the "salary" of a number of my peers.

Of course, their expenses are a bit lower than mine...

Clarification: I'm not an "FE agent" per se. I write a little of it - but I mainly write med supps...

Last edited:
Unfortunately, I think a lot of people don't get the motivation necessary to be successful until they get into their 30's and 40's. I noticed a change within, around the time I hit 40.

Then you got guys like bboman who got licensed before his first shave, and now he's in his late 20's and knows FE better than most of us.

I agree with this ^^^. I'm 47. Not many 20 somethings have what it takes...I didn't...which explains why I didn't even get licensed until I was 44. Not all 20 somethings are the same though...some are driven and never quit until they hit their goals...some quit at the first sign of mild discomfort (calling leads, door knocking, presenting, you know...WORK)...heck, this applies to agents of any age.

----------

To the OP: I'm not convinced that age makes much difference. We agents tend to way overthink...especially when we're brand new. If an agent REALLY BELIEVES their age will help/hurt their chances, then I'm sure that agent will find a way to make that belief become reality. I'm still new in this biz and sales in general (1 1/2 years full-time)...and I'm learning that people buy from someone they trust...trust is earned in very thin layers all stacked on top of each other. Being a 60+ agent might be one more very thin layer...but I doubt it's going to make that much difference. IF the agent is VERY skilled at pointing out their seniority to the prospect in a very fluid and effective way, then it's possible I suppose. But again, it's just another thin layer. When I first started I really believed that the absolute lowest price was the most important factor. I don't believe that anymore. Competitive yes, but lowest?????? No way.

I'm curious though. Ben, when you first started how old were you? Did people ever tell you they weren't going to buy because of your youth? Or did you ever get obvious signs from people even if they didn't say it?

More than half of my agents are over 50 (and these are brand new agents).

I have several more in their 40s, and very few in their 30s.

Only one dude is younger than I am (21 or 22) - I am 31.

Then, no wonder the washout rate is so high in FE. People hate salesmen who aren't young and good-looking.:no:

must be the other way around.. It is the young fellows that don't last and the ugly old guys that are still around.

Admit it Rouse, when you started out, you were a dashing fellow with a perfectly waxed handlebar mustache and a crisp Derby hat on your head as you stepped out of the carriage to go door knock a lead!

I agree with this ^^^. I'm 47. Not many 20 somethings have what it takes...I didn't...which explains why I didn't even get licensed until I was 44. Not all 20 somethings are the same though...some are driven and never quit until they hit their goals...some quit at the first sign of mild discomfort (calling leads, door knocking, presenting, you know...WORK)...heck, this applies to agents of any age.

----------

To the OP: I'm not convinced that age makes much difference. We agents tend to way overthink...especially when we're brand new. If an agent REALLY BELIEVES their age will help/hurt their chances, then I'm sure that agent will find a way to make that belief become reality. I'm still new in this biz and sales in general (1 1/2 years full-time)...and I'm learning that people buy from someone they trust...trust is earned in very thin layers all stacked on top of each other. Being a 60+ agent might be one more very thin layer...but I doubt it's going to make that much difference. IF the agent is VERY skilled at pointing out their seniority to the prospect in a very fluid and effective way, then it's possible I suppose. But again, it's just another thin layer. When I first started I really believed that the absolute lowest price was the most important factor. I don't believe that anymore. Competitive yes, but lowest?????? No way.

I'm curious though. Ben, when you first started how old were you? Did people ever tell you they weren't going to buy because of your youth? Or did you ever get obvious signs from people even if they didn't say it?

Started when I was 21. I never once had someone tell me they wouldn't buy because of my age. Now some might not have bought because of it but they didn't tell me. I was taught if you are young, learn everything you can. Knowledge will make them trust you.

Admit it Rouse, when you started out, you were a dashing fellow with a perfectly waxed handlebar mustache and a crisp Derby hat on your head as you stepped out of the carriage to go door knock a lead!

Naw, it was more like a plaid leisure suit, platform shoes, long hair, sideburns and a "spit curl" in the middle of the forehead.

th

Back