How to Make Top $$ As a Producer

This has been an awesome thread to read. Just wanted to say thanks to all those that posted. As a new Farmers producer, I'll keep my eyes open but I like it where I am so far. I'm stuck with a focus on just auto, home, and specialty so I guess I'm missing out on the commercial and life end. Problem is... we're all specialized. There's one guy focused on commercial, one on life, and I get my area.

From what I hear, I just need to keep my head down and keep calling. Getting face-to-face with people seems to be the name of the game. I'm doing that well so far and my 40/4 (especially since my 4 was just passing over life leads) happened pretty easily. I've passed on a lot of commercial and life leads... sounds like I'm seriously missing out on some money. Hopefully, I can change this sometime soon.

As far as the indy/captive debate, I really find myself thinking that it's not about one being better than the other. It's about where you personally want to be. I have no expenses and I just focus on getting my job done. For me, I like this a lot better than thinking about the costs associated with running an office. To each their own I suppose. Why add more stress to my life while I'm trying to get good at something I've never done before. Maybe one day I'll find myself out on my own but I like where I'm at now. Enjoying it and having support from the people I work is going to go a long way toward making me better at what I now do. Just my two cents. Thanks all!

Everyone keep saying commercial is best, i believe so as wll, premiums and the willingness to learn etc...

But, can you guys retain the client when their personal is with someone else? They try to cross sell and BOR your client...

Can barely compete with the captive agencies here for PL, but CL we blow them out of the water, but i hit some walls, where they want 1 agent for everything,...

I'm late to this thread and did not read all the post. I am a struggling captive agent. I plan to leave my current "employer" and go indy. I will be a struggling indy agent. Point is any of this can be a struggle. Sweet spots change, rules and underwriting guidelines change. All I sale is a piece of paper and a promise and customers have to trust me and that paper. Farmers, Allstate and others that use a captive agent sales force can be viewed by the consumer as better than others with a lesser name, but likewise they can be viewed as to big to care for the little guy. People care more about the claims experience when they have one. They care more about the premium, in this economy. They trust me to find the best coverage for the right price. Commissions have to be secondary to earning the trust. When that happens money starts to flow from everywhere. Captives have less choices, and can make customers feel unimportant when it comes to rate, when they have no options. IMO Indys can be more flexilbe with the customer, and that lends itself to a more friendly customer experience. Better customer relations = referrals = more sales.

The right answer is market, market, market. Get your own agency, build your book and brand in a small space / territory / city, then increase slowly and manage your book always looking for more policies per household. Manage your expectation and set reachable goals, never forget it's a constant struggle.

Last edited:
Are you working 60-75 hours per week? There are no short cuts none you put in 10,000 hours you will be fine. It is up to you to decide if you want to do it in 3 or 4 years.

I was captive and went Indy about 6-7 months ago. I have write over 500K since opening. In my experience, start with personal lines. The Paychecks come much faster!! 99% of my book is personal.

I was captive and went Indy about 6-7 months ago. I have write over 500K since opening. In my experience, start with personal lines. The Paychecks come much faster!! 99% of my book is personal.

Bear, how did you go about getting appointments?

Here in Southern California, I will beat any farmers policy 95% of the time. No way you can make it out here by being a captive.

I just got my P & C licenses which adds to my L & H licenses. I am independent and am wondering what kind of expectations I should look for in reviewing my contract when Joining and signing with an independent agency? Any feedback here would be appreciated.

anything close to 50/50 to 50/30 is ok depending on who does the servicing. when I was a captive principal, I had a different philosophy and did 100/30 with no ownership ever and no salary (with leads provided and no service work). it is all going to depend on the thought process of the owner. tell us the details of what you are offered and we will shoot you straight.

----------

i'll just go ahead and stir the pot. how a principal justifies paying less than 50% fyc to a producer is beyond me (unless they are paying a salary as well).

Back