I Am New Agent. Need Help! Out of State Business

kennguyen111

Hello,
I live in Louisiana and fully certified for on and off exchange. Today I received a called from my cousin who lives in Texas and asked me if I can write business in Texas. I said yes ( but obviously I have no ideas how to start in Texas). I just don't want to turn away my cousin because she told me she can refer me a lot more customers.
So my question is, what do I have to do to write business in Texas? Do I need to apply for another license in Texas and call my main insurer (Humana) and tell them hey I want to write in Texas also, please appoint me ?

Thank you all for your help!

You'll need to get a non-resident Texas license. Many states you can do this online through the state's Department of Insurance. States vary on how long the process is, so there may be a delay here. You also may need to get PPACA certified in that state. Some states just go with the FFM Certification but others, like California, take a bit more work. Not personally familiar with Texas but the DOI should have all the information you need.

Once your license is in place, you can get appointed with whichever carriers you think you may need. The appointment process may also take some time though so the sooner you start, the better.

Be careful about telling folks in Texas to wait for you. They need to find a TX licensed agent who can get them going with a Jan 1, 2015 start date (app in by Dec 15). Just my opinion.

If you're short on time, I'm fully certified for on and off exchange here in Texas and I'd be more than happy to help!

Back