I Hate It when People Think Their Website is Worth Thousands More Than It is

Josh

Guru
5000 Post Club
So, a friend of mine pointed out a cool domain that would be good for my list business. It has broken links on it, nothing really interesting going on, and it's ranking for a cool term, but nothing that sexy. I usually don't approach people about buying their websites, but I figured this might be the exception since it looks like it's been neglected. Nope. Guy wants a FORTUNE for a site that is best case scenario worth $500.

I get that his argument is that he spent $10k on it, but I don't see how he'll *ever* see that back when I can build out a site that looks better, with better content, for a fraction of what he wants.

That's what I get for approaching someone about their URL though.

So, a friend of mine pointed out a cool domain that would be good for my list business. It has broken links on it, nothing really interesting going on, and it's ranking for a cool term, but nothing that sexy. I usually don't approach people about buying their websites, but I figured this might be the exception since it looks like it's been neglected. Nope. Guy wants a FORTUNE for a site that is best case scenario worth $500.

I get that his argument is that he spent $10k on it, but I don't see how he'll *ever* see that back when I can build out a site that looks better, with better content, for a fraction of what he wants.

That's what I get for approaching someone about their URL though.

This problem persists within society. Just because someone was dumb enough to overpay for something doesn't mean the rest of us have to follow suit, and help them recoup their losses. :no:

This wasn't bestinsurance.com was it? haha

[EDIT: Where's my 1K post icon? I was looking forward to that!]

Malcolm, e-mail me if you want the URL for a good laugh, [email protected].
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
This problem persists within society. Just because someone was dumb enough to overpay for something doesn't mean the rest of us have to follow suit, and help them recoup their losses. :no:

The killer is I can probably replicate his rankings for those search terms for like $200. We'll see I guess. Always fun to try new things out.

Last edited:
Back