I Screwed Up - Rebating Customer

Its not rebating. Rebating is offering an inducement to obtain a policy. You offered a correction to an existing policy. My hat is off to you for standing behind your work.

If you did this regularly, then it might be a problem, but if you do it once to fix an error, then hey, its a fix.

Its also not a possible E&O claim, unless you didn't fix it. They can file an E&O claim all day long, but it won't go anywhere. They would need to incur a loss before they could even begin the process, which now, they have the coverage, so its all good.

Sleep well at night. It cost you $180 to take care of your own mistake, but you did it.

Dan

Its not rebating. Rebating is offering an inducement to obtain a policy. You offered a correction to an existing policy. My hat is off to you for standing behind your work.

If you did this regularly, then it might be a problem, but if you do it once to fix an error, then hey, its a fix.

Its also not a possible E&O claim, unless you didn't fix it. They can file an E&O claim all day long, but it won't go anywhere. They would need to incur a loss before they could even begin the process, which now, they have the coverage, so its all good.

Sleep well at night. It cost you $180 to take care of your own mistake, but you did it.

Dan

Ditto. Rebating is only to "induce to buy". This is correcting a mistake.

Dan is correct that it is not an E&O claim, because you made the situation right. You should document that you corrected the situation though.

If you failed to correct the situation and make restitution to the client, then it could be a possible E&O claim.

There is no law against making financial restitution for a mistake... but there are laws in some states for NOT making financial restitution for a mistake...

You did the right thing both legally and morally. Good for you.

No worries. Put it this way. If the client called doi and complained to consumer division. The DOI would make you reimburse them most likely so they go away.

These things happen and they stink. It's like working for nothing.

Back