Ideal Agent to Client Ratio - Medicare

sshafran

Guru
1000 Post Club
NC
Assuming Medicare - Mix of med supp, PDPs, MA plans... Mostly phone...

Good agent to client base ratio for sanity?

Close to 1400 (active) and at times it feels like too much and not enough time off. I've really cut down on advertising because it's just busy without it. I do have an admin but shes not licensed. Considering a LOA to help.

Am I just being lazy or is the client to agent ratio out of whack?

I know P&C has some good "standards" but not sure what we should do here to stay profitable but sane.

Im in the same boat as you (btw...Im Rusty's "other half" lol). However majority of my clients are MS. I don't feel busy most of the time unless I have leads coming in. Get calls and emails through out the year. But nothing that is overwhelming yet. My wife is now licensed and getting her appointed with the carriers but she to date hasn't done anything. It's hard for me to delegate since I have been solo for so long not sure what I am going to do with her :)

Now AEP is a big pain in the butt. Especially with the 48 hour rule and all.

But to answer your question I think one agent can do fine with 1500 but a full time admin would be nice to handle the phones, emails, CRM work, etc.

Sanity from 1/1 to 9/30 or sanity from 10/1 to 12/31? Those are 2 different things.

I also think its a sexist answer. And a life answer.

I have 2 part-timers (kind of) and last year I hired help to type in the damn lists. I also have help this year, but he's an agent, graduating from college and oh yeah...my kid. And the princess (at 32 and a college tennis coach) is on the payroll and in charge of the thank you cards.

As a wife and mom, reality is that I have/had more household responsibilities. First thing I hired was a cleaning lady. I never had meetings after 3pm, I had a kid to pick up at school. And then parent. Or be the Cub Scout leader. Or basketball coach. Or room mom. Whatever.

1. My first assistant and now work wife came in for benefits and now she is licensed and typing up all the apps, adds, terms, whatever. She owns the spreadsheet (from hell) and in general keeps me sane. She is my opposite. Detail oriented, Masters in English. She handles the licensing crap, OEP clients and making sure nothing falls through the cracks.
3. Work wife #2 is in charge of answering the phone, returning voicemail, managing my calendar and follow up emails. Where's your Medicare card? Time to schedule your Medicare 101!

Both of them are salary positions. For 9 months a year, #1 works 10-20 hours a week and I don't want to know how much in 4th quarter. #2 works 10 hours a week for 9 months and same answer for 4th quarter. Both are 100% remote. #2 travels within the US a bunch because her husband travels for work. I could care less where she works. What I don't want to do is train someone every September for 4th quarter.

I want to be able to take vacations (a lot) and not deal with issues. I sell when I am on vacation (if necessary) but that's it. The trick is to never be out of town the last 2 days of the month.

So instead of saying "what's the number" start with what you want your life to look like. Then pick the stuff you hate to do. That's the assistant's job description.

And remember....we trade the 10 weeks for the other 42. :)

So instead of saying "what's the number" start with what you want your life to look like. Then pick the stuff you hate to do. That's the assistant's job description.
This is the deal for all insurance agencies and probably a lot of other small businesses.

Pay someone to do the stuff you hate/aren't good at/don't want to do/aren't qualified to do/etc.

Just don't make your first employee your spouse. That really puts a damper on all of those vacations/breaks etc.

Back