IEP, Late Enrollment, Immigrants

I have a situation here I haven't ran into yet and was hoping for some clarification.

Husband (70 in April 2023) and a wife (65 in January 2023).

They used to own a dairy farm and had an investment visa E-2 which is basically like a work visa from my understanding. They lost their business in 2013, and weren't able to apply for another visa and lived here illegally for a few years but still worked other jobs. They both just applied for social security and are receiving benefits. Roughly $1500 between them both, husband is still working at a local dairy farm. They just received their green card for the first time in February of 2022 making them permanent legal residents.

Wife should receive her Medicare card like normal in October for her IEP. My question though is what will happen with her husband? Is he going to be subject to a penalty for the 5 years he will be going without Medicare? Or since they just technically became residents in February is that when he was technically eligible for Medicare the first time? Does he have a SEP to apply for A and B due to newly gained residency or has that passed and he has to wait for January to enroll with the July 1 effective date?

I have a situation here I haven't ran into yet and was hoping for some clarification.

They used to own a dairy farm and had an investment visa E-2 which is basically like a work visa from my understanding. They lost their business in 2013, and weren't able to apply for another visa and lived here illegally for a few years but still worked other jobs. They both just applied for social security and are receiving benefits. Roughly $1500 between them both, husband is still working at a local dairy farm. They just received their green card for the first time in February of 2022 making them permanent legal residents.

Wife should receive her Medicare card like normal in October for her IEP. My question though is what will happen with her husband? Is he going to be subject to a penalty for the 5 years he will be going without Medicare? Or since they just technically became residents in February is that when he was technically eligible for Medicare the first time? Does he have a SEP to apply for A and B due to newly gained residency or has that passed and he has to wait for January to enroll with the July 1 effective date?

If they don't have 40 quarters of qualified working ( paying FICA) history in US they will have to pay full premium for part A and B and she will not automatically be enrolled in medicare in october she will have to apply and she may have to wait until the general enrollment period.If they get medicare they may be able to apply for a medicare savings program to pay all the premiums.If he wasn't eligible for Medicare previously I am pretty sure his IEP will be the date he actually starts Medicare so there shouldn't be a penalty

If they don't have 40 quarters of qualified working ( paying FICA) history in US they will have to pay full premium for part A and B and she will not automatically be enrolled in medicare in october she will have to apply and she may have to wait until the general enrollment period.If they get medicare they may be able to apply for a medicare savings program to pay all the premiums.If he wasn't eligible for Medicare previously I am pretty sure his IEP will be the date he actually starts Medicare so there shouldn't be a penalty

Why will she not be eligible for iep for Jan 2023 turning age 65 as she will have just got her part A and B ? Why does she have to wait for Gep in Jan ( actually starting in 2023 During Gep election period there eligible for coverage the next month instead of waiting for July for coverage to start ).

The 1st green card is good for 2 years, then it has to be renewed every 10 years until citizenship.

How many quarters did they pay into Social Security?

The 1st green card is good for 2 years, then it has to be renewed every 10 years until citizenship.

How many quarters did they pay into Social Security?
They're not sure exactly, but she said they've gotten communications in the mail from Social Security stating they are eligible for benefits. If they called would SS be able to tell them if they are eligible for Medicare, if they have enough working quarters for free Part A, and if the husband will face any late enrollment penalties?

They're not sure exactly, but she said they've gotten communications in the mail from Social Security stating they are eligible for benefits. If they called would SS be able to tell them if they are eligible for Medicare, if they have enough working quarters for free Part A, and if the husband will face any late enrollment penalties?
Yes.

Back