If You Were To Hire

Amen, that's the worst part along with payroll taxes. Sales and growing the book is easy, the hard part is continuing to grow and managing the "owning a business" part. Side note, Liberty Mutual terminated all of their CSRs effective April 2016 so they will be looking for work next year. Reach out to your local LM office they will be trained and ready.

I heard about this and it's actually a really good idea.

At this point I wouldn't be able to afford one as they are licensed and are coming a full time job with benefits

Who's gonna service the liberty mutual policyholders? Outsourcing overseas? Safeco?

Liberty has always had a department that handled service related issues called the DRC at corporate office locations. They were always in addition to the in house CSRs. There will only now be the DRC. I foresee sales reps going for LM as well.

Liberty has always had a department that handled service related issues called the DRC at corporate office locations. They were always in addition to the in house CSRs. There will only now be the DRC. I foresee sales reps going for LM as well.

LM in NC is letting the CSR all go in Dec 2015. I am interviewing a few. The problem is LM paid them better than I want to pay. Most seem to make around 35000 plus full benefits. But if their losing their job maybe I can get one at a discount.

LM in NC is letting the CSR all go in Dec 2015. I am interviewing a few. The problem is LM paid them better than I want to pay. Most seem to make around 35000 plus full benefits. But if their losing their job maybe I can get one at a discount.

You are similar to both CaptiveGuy and I as you came from LM and started scratch with Erie.

At what point did you hide your first employee. What role did they fill?

1 of the Golden Commandments of Selling Insurance: The speed w/ which you quote & follow up w/ a prospect is directly proportional to the closing ratio.

For me the decision came when I realized that I had people calling me for quotes & I wasn't getting back to them for up to 3 days. That is despicable & unacceptable & If I could go back in time I'd slap the $hit out of myself.

It's only after I started realizing I was losing some sales because my time was being taken up doing service work....That I realized it was time.

I had 5 new referrals come in yesterday & I still got them all quoted on the same business day (albeit some by 9:30 at night.) Without help that would NEVER happen. I also have to quote 8-10 carriers so it also takes alot more time.

I can say w/ absolute certainty that you will not lose money on hiring help. I know when you're starting out you're like "damn...even part time work is the cost of my mortgage payment.." but (like you will most likely know...) it pays off almost instantly.

Year 1 - $320,000 in new premium
Year 2 - $470,000 in new premium (help came on $15/hour 10 hours/week)
Year 3 - $550,000 in new premium (increased help to 17-20 hours per week)
Year 4 - On pace for $800,000 in new premium (same help as last year)

^I had huge months this year that statistically shouldn't continue & I also need to up the help.

You are similar to both CaptiveGuy and I as you came from LM and started scratch with Erie.

At what point did you hide your first employee. What role did they fill?

I have a little advantage because I have a partner. We both shared the work until we hit 2 million. Then we hired a CSR at 15 per hour. We should have hired before but couldn't find anyone we liked. We are currently at 3.5m and looking for another CSR. Hiring as been a nightmare for me.

Make sure your new assistant can sell. Doesn't have to be a used car salesman type, Avon lady consultive sells type is fine. My first CSR who is no longer here called a potential client back said to the guy some thing along the lines of "the down payment is $50 and the monthly payment is $35 if you don't find anything better call us back, okay bye."

Back