Independent agent Commissions for ACA and ancillary benefits?

Dan OBrien

Expert
I’ve been working for a company for two months now as a w2 agent, and we sell ACA and ancillary products. I’m currently making $14/hr base, $10 per ACA application, and commission on the AP for ancillaries. The commission rates are 15%, 18%, 21%, and 25%. Each rate is determined on how much I sold the month prior.

if I were to go independent in a year or two, what kind of pay structure should I expect?

I think ACA pays 20-$30 per member. Ancillaries just depend on the product. Not sure if that helps.

I’ve been working for a company for two months now as a w2 agent, and we sell ACA and ancillary products. I’m currently making $14/hr base, $10 per ACA application, and commission on the AP for ancillaries. The commission rates are 15%, 18%, 21%, and 25%. Each rate is determined on how much I sold the month prior.

if I were to go independent in a year or two, what kind of pay structure should I expect?
Ancillaries can be up to 65%-70% FYC with 15%-20% renewals depending on the company and the product. Of course, you loose your $14 base and are straight commission.

Yes up to $30 per member per month depending on the carrier . It’s become very lucrative. It’s a very easy add on sale in the fe mkt for those making $20-$50 k a yr with no health insurance . I added 7 lives or $175 a month in commission last week alone while selling other items . The mkt has expanded big.

Yes up to $30 per member per month depending on the carrier . It’s become very lucrative. It’s a very easy add on sale in the fe mkt for those making $20-$50 k a yr with no health insurance . I added 7 lives or $175 a month in commission last week alone while selling other items . The mkt has expanded big.
I know that $240 - $360 per year sounds pretty good but I remember the days we got paid 40% - 50% of the premium first year and 15% renewals on Major Medical..

I know that $240 - $360 per year sounds pretty good but I remember the days we got paid 40% - 50% of the premium first year and 15% renewals on Major Medical..

And I also remember those days . Time insurance company , Union Bankers and Continental General . Difference is with big rate increase many of those people wouldn’t keep individual major med long . With Aca long term persistency better .

ACA comp varies......a lot.

Example:
Philadelphia zip code family of 4- $1600 premium Silver HMO- pays $19 per member, per month- $76 comp every month

5 miles across the river in New Jersey zip code family of four- $1600 premium Silver HMO- pay $6 comp every month....total...not based on a per member per month.

In my market, the same carriers even pay differently on different plan types in their line up (HMO vs EPO), AND they pay differently based on whether it's open enrollment or special enrollment.

Back