Individual Health Insurance Marketing

Another aspect to consider is to venture online.
A lot of clients stray away from printed paper ads (although a business card does go a long way) to find their insurance.

If you type into google "[your city] individual health insurance" and find that the results are very generic, or you think you can make a great website with all your qualifications than it's a strong market tool. Hiring web developers, designers, and SEO consultants can make sure you're the first site on top of the search engine.

A warning though is that websites will take money to spend, and some consultants might do 'black hat' optimization, which will show your site as the first results for a short period of time before it gets dropped.

Here's some marketing 101 for health insurance.

1) B to B
I attatched the flyer I use. Simply print them up and hit small businesses. The pitch is simple "Hi, I'm <your> and I'm an independent agent. I'm offering free quotes on affordable health insurance plans available through <insert> Do you have your own coverage or group? Look for a 5% response - for every 20 businesses you walk into it's one lead.

2) Cold call telemarketing
Buy a list for a variety of internet sources like USA data and start calling: "Hi, I'm John Petrowski from the Health Solutions Agency. I'm letting business owners like yourself know about a variety of affordable health insurance plans through companies like Aetna, Time, United Healthcare and Blue Cross. Do you have your own coverage or group? Look for a 2% to 3% response.

3) Shared internet leads
You can buy leads from $6 to 15% a pop with $8 being the standard price. Look to close 1 out of 15 if you're new. If you're looking for 4 to 5 deals per week you'll need at least $500 per week. You'll also need that every week for at least a month before commission roll in. Since you'll be competiting with seasoned agents you'll really need to be on your game for this method to work.

4) Hire a telemarketer
Put an ad out on Craigslist and hire an in-house telemarketer. Have her/him come over to your place, pay about $12 per hour flat and about 4 hours per day of calls should do it. That should generate 8 solid leads and a deal a day.

MARKETING THAT SOUNDS COOL BUT DOESN'T WORK

1) Postcard mailers
Expensive and low return. 40 cents a pop and mail 1,000 at a cost of $400. Return is .05% or 5 leads. That's $80 a lead and you might not close any of those 5 leads. Or you might close one but it's a low individual premium that doesn't even earn you $400 in commish.

2) Ads in local publications
Failed concept. Small ads that are inexpensive and don't get hardly any return. Quarter page or larger ads are expensive and the majority of your calls with be from broke or uninsurable people. Only works well on a large scale - thousands of dollars.

3) Friends and family then expand off referrals
This is the MLM mentality - you sell a friend, get 5 referrals then each one of them give you 5 referrals and after a while you have hundreds of people to call. Ummmm, no. Doesn't work. You'll sell one or two of your friends and family and it'll end there. Oh, then your family member calls you bitching about the plan.

4) Business by osmosis
Some new agents think they just have to pass around their cards and basically let everyone know they sell health and the phone starts ringing. No, it won't.

5) Networking clubs
Although this method might get you the occasional deal it by no means will get you those 4 to 5 consistent deals per week you need to make this work.
I loved your pitches. My question when you hire someone from craigslist to make calls are you just having them call numbers from phonebook or paid leads. I'm a new agent and have even given into datalot now I'm almost broke.

Back