Insurance Exam Study Specific Numbers?

LearningGood

Expert
I did a search on how to study for the P&C licensing test and don't see an answer for my uniquer question so I am posting now.

I have been using Examfx.com and watched all of their videos and am about 1/2 way reading each study guide for each section I passed all of the tests (after a few tries) for each section and will eventually take my final exam. I partly passed because they sometimes repeat questions and also because I learn by re-reading if I fail.

I really just want to understand the concepts cold but having to memorize numbers is getting in the way. 30 days, 45 days, 180 days, $2,500, $10,000, etc. Should I just stop trying to memorize these numbers so I can concentrate on what is really important. Once I am an agent I can have a cheat sheet on my desk. I know numbers are important but this is crazy.

Also, I read somewhere that there are 8 tests states pull from approximately so if I just take every test for each section over and over again I will be able to memorize a "bit" I know that understanding the concepts is most important and I will do this and I also know that taking my time with each question is important.

Does examfx have every test question...not exact question but close? or should I look for other companies that offer sample questions...would be great if one company had all of the questions and I could study by test taking...

I don't find the concepts hard at all...just memorizing form numbers or amounts seems crazy dumb.

This is being written for the people who someday in the future are reading this thread looking for the same advice. I think I have this figured out.

I will only memorize "unique" numbers like 180 days and/or from sections with only a few numbers. So say Dwelling section only had a few numbers then I will memorize those but if other sections have too many then I will ignore the number memorization.
I think it is far more effective to understand concepts rather than memorizing 30 or was it 45 days.

This is why I hated college...my grades were excellent but I loathed the memorization. I remember vividly one of my business classes memorizing every single word from something like 5 chapters...I stopped going to class because she literally read out of the book. I scored a 100% for the highest grade. The teacher was angry with me and we had a debate in the hall. I also had a debate with another business professor about the same thing. My favorite professors were professional CPAs and lawyers and marketing people who would teach on the side.

Easier to score 100% in college because I was memorizing phrases...not numbers which mean nothing. I will get real world learning once I start working at an agency. I will pass with hard work so I had better get to studying.

I will also seek out more tests to practice that are NOT on examfx...I need diversity.

Last edited:
I have read through all of the material...almost fell asleep several times. Lots of information is interesting when I am awake and some is just plain boring. The good news is examfx actually has a bunch of different questions...so I am now taking test after test in each category until my score is 85% or above...then I will take the practice final tests. Studying was hard at first but getting easier now.

I have read through all of the material...almost fell asleep several times. Lots of information is interesting when I am awake and some is just plain boring. The good news is examfx actually has a bunch of different questions...so I am now taking test after test in each category until my score is 85% or above...then I will take the practice final tests. Studying was hard at first but getting easier now.

Well, for what it's worth, I never did well in school (or "good" as you might say), but I passed all my insurance tests on the first try. Just study like crazy, and if you don't pass, go take it again.

To provide an update for people taking the exam in the future and needing guidance...

1) The company I used examfx was just fine with a few caveats. I was annoyed by the practice exam because it was way harder than their other practice exams AND the state test. The second time I took the test I took pictures of all of my wrong answers so I could practice before they logged me out automatically. It appears the second guaranteed exam is the same as the first. So learn from the first test to beat the second test. I did not do this because I did not have an guidance but did not matter in the end. I asked their online instructor a question about the state exam but never received a response.

2) I was annoyed by the dumb memorization but it sort of forced me to read every little nook and cranny of insurance.

I passed on the first try with an 82%.

Yes. I was not too clear in my post. The state exam is actually easier than the final Examfx test.

Also, I forgot to mention that driving to the state testing center was easier than trying to get into the online proctored test. The same company PSI runs a horrible online proctor system but their in person testing center is top notch.

Last edited:
For the newbie, I just took my life/health exam and passed. I used Examfx again and really like their offer. This advice is for any test. I recommend watching the videos which are excellent. They cover lots of important topics...this gives you a general overview. Then take their short practice tests in each topic over and over and over again. Each test is a little different and over time you will see some of the same questions which will boost your confidence. You will pass if you over study. I easily passed because I over studied...I just forgot everything else in my life and worked hard. You will pass easily if you want to. Good luck!

Back