Insurance Sales Vs Insurance W/ Financial Sales

plays2win

Expert
It seems that many of the larger insurance companies require their sales people obtain their 6, 63 license so they can sell financial products along with insurance sales. I am assuming this so they can sell financial products such as mutual funds. I am not really interested in selling those types of products. Are there any good captive companies with good products, pricing and strong training that sell straight life products only or am I going to be required to get the financial licenses with most captive life insurance companies today?

Last edited:
Liberty Mutual sells straight term and whole life. SF, Nationwide, and Allstate all require you to sell variable life and banking products.

Make sure if you go captive you know which company has competitive rates in your area. I'm in the process of going indy after reviewing all of the captive opportunities.

I thought Liberty Mutual is no longer selling life insurance as they sold that division to some other company?

Most captive-type companies are requiring securities licenses, but NOT just so you can sell investments. They are compliance handcuffs. They are so that you are instilled with the fear of God for violating a compliance standard, or wanting to send a email message, a personally written newsletter or using a sales system that you like.

Securities licenses are designed to make you a slave to their compliance departments - but I'm glad I went through it! Sometimes you need to experience the "bitter" to appreciate the "sweet".

I work for Liberty Mutual and we do sell life insurance and it is a requirement your first 2 years. Actually like the other captives it is a big part of your recognition, bonuses, etc.

The training is top notch but the pay structure along with of course being able to only sell one product has me looking to finally branch off on my own.

MetLife keeps it's P&C people out of the financial stuff. You can still sell term, whole and UL life insurance. But no VUL or mutual funds or anything like that.

Back