Is it okay to not know everything when starting out?

Kay2427D

Hello. I am a new independent agent with a Life and Health license. I am focusing on Medicare products only right now. Starting out has been a bit rough for me. I have no experience or background in sales. Actually, I have no work experience. I've been unable to work due to disability. My only income has been from my monthly disability benefits. Last year, I decided to try working but I did a lot of research on what kind of job would best fit my limitations. That's when I discovered being an independent insurance agent. I liked that it can give me some flexibility by being able to work from home and/or in person. Fast forward to now, I have an upline and FMO and I'm contracted with eight carriers. My problem is that I tend to feel like I have to know everything and be the most knowledgeable before I can attempt selling. Unfortunately, I can be a perfectionist who tends to fixate on every detail. I have yet to make my first sale. I've been reevaluating myself and wondering if my fixation with being "perfect" is actually holding me back. If I'm being honest, there's still a lot about Medicare and Medicare products that I find confusing. Or certain concepts that are difficult for me to remember. I do go back and review these areas of concern. It wasn't that long ago that I passed AHIP (about two months). But it still seems like my brain didn't retain everything. I guess I'm just wondering if this is normal for new agents. To other agents who went through this, how did you overcome it? What steps can I take to build my confidence as an agent? Or is it more of a 'you learn as you go' approach?

The accelerated way to learn... is to continue to work with prospective clients and 'stumble' your way through.

Continue to reference your material. If you want a good training resource, I'd recommend you check out @Todd King website:

The accelerated way to learn... is to continue to work with prospective clients and 'stumble' your way through.

Continue to reference your material. If you want a good training resource, I'd recommend you check out @Todd King website:

I get what your saying. Perhaps I’ve fallen victim to the old “analysis paralysis”. Making mistakes and learning from them is part of the learning process for most things. In the insurance industry I suppose it’s no different. Of course we want to make sure we aren’t clueless and uninformed. We want to be a reliable source of information for our clients. I need to remind myself I’m still only human. Thank you for the recommendation. I do have a training resource already. But maybe someone else can benefit from it :)

Let me help you a little more: I've been licensed for 20 years this year. I don't know everything. It's impossible to know everything.

Now for medicare, you'll achieve mastery far quicker in that subject than in everything in the insurance industry. However, give yourself a break and just keep going.

Be okay not knowing everything and get back to your prospect with the correct information. You will build trust by not 'shooting from the hip' and guessing. It shows that you care about helping your client make a fully informed decision based on accurate information. Sure, it won't mean that you'll make a one-call close each time, but you'll help people make informed decisions.

Leverage that.

Try reading Sandler's You Can't Teach a Kid to Ride a Bike at a Seminar. Has some really great sections for this specific situation. In some cases, our knowledge prohibits us from making a sale because we try to sell too many "things." Focus on what you know, building a relationship and learning together.

Main thing is to not be discouraged and know that if you stick with it, this is only a season.

Let me help you a little more: I've been licensed for 20 years this year. I don't know everything. It's impossible to know everything.

Now for medicare, you'll achieve mastery far quicker in that subject than in everything in the insurance industry. However, give yourself a break and just keep going.

Be okay not knowing everything and get back to your prospect with the correct information. You will build trust by not 'shooting from the hip' and guessing. It shows that you care about helping your client make a fully informed decision based on accurate information. Sure, it won't mean that you'll make a one-call close each time, but you'll help people make informed decisions.

Leverage that.

Thank you this is very reassuring information. When putting myself in the prospect's shoes, I would prefer to work with an agent who doesn't bs their way through things and spread misinformation to their potential clients. It's okay to say, "hey let me double check on that and I'll get back to you with the information". I shouldn't allow that to hurt my pride. As a Medicare agent, my opportunity to learn doesn't end with getting licensed and taking AHIP. It's a continuous process.

Try reading Sandler's You Can't Teach a Kid to Ride a Bike at a Seminar. Has some really great sections for this specific situation. In some cases, our knowledge prohibits us from making a sale because we try to sell too many "things." Focus on what you know, building a relationship and learning together.

Main thing is to not be discouraged and know that if you stick with it, this is only a season.
I would love to give it a read. Thank you for sharing.

Back