IRMAA & PDP

Rx changes/additions mid year that have been staggering. That's my biggest concern for consumers who have High Incomes and are considering foregoing PDP.

More proof that one size does not fit all.

Many folks who only have low cost generics don't need a plan but most (of my clients) will pay $10/mo or so to avoid the LEP. They rarely, if ever, use the plan since discount cards often produce a lower copay.

One of my gripes about PDP is the inability to change plans with an SEP when you get a new Rx for a high priced medication. I understand that the carriers probably designed the plans for THEIR convenience and profit margin, but there are other SEP's, so why not add another to accommodate those whose health changes?

I don’t have Part D. I T65’d in June 2017. Using GoodRx my 3 Rx’s at Costco cost $25/ month. If I enrolled in Part D, IRMAA would be $71.30 = 12= $95.56. My two buddies are in the same boat, (Walnut grower & rice farmer). They declined Part D too. We all understand the risk of not enrolling, 1) LEP, and, 2) suddenly experiencing high drug costs until next AEP.

:GEEK::idea:You are saving enough money you could get some dental insurance.:D

Things that keep me up at night...crap like this.

$1200/year for Max IRMAA and SS Smart.
$132K risk if they get cancer at $11K a month.

Pay the $1200, be grateful you are making more than $750K as a couple in retirement and move on.

Will the "bargain basement" low cost PDP, good as a place marker for preventing LEP charges even cover the "unknown, future need, high cost meds". It seems to me if controlling future catastrophic drug costs is the objective, the cheapest premium plan may not be the best bet. (Thought prodders for the question: somarco's comments about low premium is not everything and my comparing the (KS) $2.80 plan to other plans for 2023 when medicines are added in.)

Will the "bargain basement" low cost PDP, good as a place marker for preventing LEP charges even cover the "unknown, future need, high cost meds". It seems to me if controlling future catastrophic drug costs is the objective, the cheapest premium plan may not be the best bet. (Thought prodders for the question: somarco's comments about low premium is not everything and my comparing the (KS) $2.80 plan to other plans for 2023 when medicines are added in.)

At $7400 TROOP you hit catastrophic and pay 5% the rest of the calendar year. And TROOP is Part D, not plan specific

Back