IRS Changing APTC with Out Notice

So what happens if someone files an appeal? How long does that process take, I have a family that has mailed in the required info certified mail and up loaded to the marketplace and they say that they still don't have it, in this case they have lost their full credit... this is a mess,

I am told 90 days.

----------

I've pretty much eliminated the second step. I'm at....

Write the biz
Lose the biz

Rinse and repeat

Myself! Well, I just said 'myself' and got a message saying the message was too short .... so my answer again is: 'Myself!' I cannot mess with this mess.

The "Save the Biz" step was referring to chasing people down for proof of income and premium payments

It does not seem to matter if the clients do send in proof of income ... they can send it in 3-4 times 'with' a return receipt requested and it is always 'we didn't get it'.

I have a thought in my mind about the compound in London, KY. No one can call them. No one can email them. They are killing all of the trees in the entire United States with piles and piles of paper that people have sent in while they have their feet on the desk smoking .... what? Because they are certainly not doing their job.

The marketplace people can't even 'find them'. The address is a P.O. Box. I want that job. I'm going to drive there and see if it is a landfill of papers that people have mailed in that no one is processing? Anyone wanna go?

The "Save the Biz" step was referring to chasing people down for proof of income and premium payments

I'm well aware of what you mean. Add to that now, re-writing them to try and save their subsidy. I make it very clear up front don't mess around when they request info or you will be cancelled...they don't play.

I hold their hand very firm up front. If they can't keep it well thats on them. And I refuse to be in the collections industry.

Some of the worst clients are the ones that have been on marketplace since Jan. 1, 2014 and did not comply. They are getting hammered now. And I know all agents have been warning them for over a year now, too.

They are killing all of the trees in the entire United States with piles and piles of paper that people have sent in while they have their feet on the desk smoking .... what? Because they are certainly not doing their job.

The marketplace people can't even 'find them'. The address is a P.O. Box. I want that job. I'm going to drive there and see if it is a landfill of papers that people have mailed in that no one is processing? Anyone wanna go?

I think you're right Mary! There are no videos or photos anywhere showing the inside of the main healthcare.gov call center. Hell, it might be inside of a prison, and staffed by inmates who are there for life. Don't go looking, or you'll be snatched inside and "debriefed".

attention United States Main Stream Media... read this thread.... report on the issue and force the current leadership to fix the problem... we as agents can't risk going on record to speak about it.... sorry

Even though I haven't had very many policies drop off the books because of this it is obviously a huge problem and what is happening is completely opposite what the law is supposed to address-people without coverage.

In this case, though, it is worse, because people who think they are covered wind up without benefits, possibly at the worst possible time (when they need medical care).

I understand all of our concerns about losing certification or other penalties for speaking out, who is the highest profile consumer affairs media personality(s), maybe sending them an email with this information might get everyone some help?

No.

Yes, you are required to give the FFM access to 5 years of tax returns, but that is NOT the issue. Idiocy is the issue.

:nah: Actually that clause is for the auto renewal of the plan at the end of the year. While you get a red "This may affect your ability to receive the APTC" message by choosing to disagree and choosing to not auto renew it does not affect your ability to receive the APTC.

Every other point you had was spot on.

----------

**********Update**********

In trying to spearhead this issue I'm seeing a trend develop.

In 14 (Thx sman) we saw issues with the MP not receiving verification documents. This occurred regardless of how many times you uploaded to the account or if you sent the documents in to the London KY addy. What we didn't see or hear much of was the loss of tax credit until the last couple of months of that year.

In 15 we're seeing action on removing or adjusting APTC much quicker even with the receipt of documents still not fixed.

Here are the results I'm encountering:

Client needed to send in income verification only.

Instead of the MP removing the APTC they are collecting the info from the IRS to calculate what the APTC should be. This goes for those who sent it in and the MP "Lost" the mail or cannot access the file that has been uploaded or those who simply just didn't send the information in.

Those who have a complete loss of APTC were required to send in multiple things for verification. Those with immigration docs for everyone in the family, SSN discrepancies and income verification.

So in an attempt to slow the loss of enrollees of MP coverage due to a broken system the Feds' think its a better idea to start messing with peoples monthly bills.

Some situations have been serious adjustments and others not so much.

Case in point was yesterday client had a $ 190 share of costs that jumped to $ 294. Today I encountered a client in TX who had an adjustment of only $ 10 per month on their plan.

I'd be curious to know if this is the common denominator with this issue.

:nah: Actually that clause is for the auto renewal of the plan at the end of the year. While you get a red "This may affect your ability to receive the APTC" message by choosing to disagree and choosing to not auto renew it does not affect your ability to receive the APTC. Every other point you had was spot on. ---------- **********Update********** In trying to spearhead this issue I'm seeing a trend develop. In 14 (Thx sman) we saw issues with the MP not receiving verification documents. This occurred regardless of how many times you uploaded to the account or if you sent the documents in to the London KY addy. What we didn't see or hear much of was the loss of tax credit until the last couple of months of that year. In 15 we're seeing action on removing or adjusting APTC much quicker even with the receipt of documents still not fixed. Here are the results I'm encountering: Client needed to send in income verification only. Instead of the MP removing the APTC they are collecting the info from the IRS to calculate what the APTC should be. This goes for those who sent it in and the MP "Lost" the mail or cannot access the file that has been uploaded or those who simply just didn't send the information in. Those who have a complete loss of APTC were required to send in multiple things for verification. Those with immigration docs for everyone in the family, SSN discrepancies and income verification. So in an attempt to slow the loss of enrollees of MP coverage due to a broken system the Feds' think its a better idea to start messing with peoples monthly bills. Some situations have been serious adjustments and others not so much. Case in point was yesterday client had a $ 190 share of costs that jumped to $ 294. Today I encountered a client in TX who had an adjustment of only $ 10 per month on their plan. I'd be curious to know if this is the common denominator with this issue.

Happy to be of service.

Back