Is an SOA really required for this situation?

You cannot charge a fee for advising anyone concerning Medicare, Medicare Supplement, Medicare Advantage, or Part D plans. PERIOD. Not with an agent's license, and not with a Consultant;s license. It's a bad idea as a concept. You clearly are in this business "for the money," and in my book, that makes you "dangerous."

You believe your own dishonest sales pitch. Everyone, INCLUDING YOU, is "in this business for the money." Be real. If you simply could not be paid in any way for helping people with Medicare-related products, you wouldn't sell them. Sure, you consider what you do for a living as a way to help people, yet I can promise you that if you didn't make any money doing it, you wouldn't be doing it. Same goes for school teachers, police officers, nurses, and a myriad of other people who love to brag about how they only do what they do because they "love to help people." I wonder how many school teachers, police officers, or nurses would show up for work tomorrow if notified they would never be paid again for doing the work of a school teacher, police officer, or nurse, and they couldn't even accept a free-will offering.

Also, there is no law that prohibits a person appropriately licensed to do so, to opt to receive direct compensation from a customer for advice on insurance in general, or Medicare-related insurance products specifically, in lieu of receiving a commission for selling. Put another way, utilizing a completely different business model, in which people pay your an agreed-upon fee for your advise on what to buy or not buy, and not being contracted with they companies to sell products. In Kentucky, you must either hold a insurance consultant's license (not to be confused with the standard agent's license) or attorney's license to dispense such advice for a fee.

There's absolutely no proof that so-called "fee-based" financial advisers do any better job for their clients than commissioned advisers, so who's to think the same would be true of fee-based "Medicare Advisers"?. What would you pay for someone to tell you how much homeowners and auto insurance they think you need, and then have to go pay premiums on top of that? That's why we as agents earn commissions. I am also a CA licensed Life & Disability Insurance Analyst, and can charge a fee for my advice, or collect a commission if I recommend a product I am appointed to transact. But I cannot have both. The only people I charge fees to are attorneys who need an expert witness for litigation.

So, you just admitted you actually know about the alternative business model, and admit that it can be done, so what's your problem?

If a person's motivations are correct, the money is meaningless. I've been in this business since 1980, and I could care less what my commissions are, because my focus is on doing what's in the client's best interest 100% of the time . . . even if it means not getting a commission because I don't represent the company or product a person needs . . . which is what I make sure they get. In the first year of "Obamacare", I enrolled hundreds of individuals into Medi-Cal because they qualified for it. I didn't know at the time that I would be paid for each enrollment. I did it because it was the right thing to do. I ended up getting about $50 each for almost half of the enrollments I submitted, and received it as if it were a "gift" from the State of California.

Once again, you just tell a flat-out lie. Money is not meaningless. Nobody does this business as a charity. Yes, we all direct a consumer to a source other than ourselves for insurance from time to time, as making a "bad sale" is both immoral and ultimately bad for business in the long run. And I enrolled plenty of folks in Medicaid in those early years of Obamacare, too, until I finally stopped fooling with Obamacare altogether as it simply didn't pay enough to justify all the training hours required. Last I checked, only one semi-retired agent in this town is even "certified" to sell on the individual exchange. It sucks up lots of time that can be spent doing something more productive. Perhaps it is profitable in California; be thrilled you got paid $50 per enrollee; Kentucky paid me zero.

If your opinion of Medicare Advantage clients is they're "CHEAP" . . . you probably don't belong in this business.

Only 80% of them are cheap. I will note that the majority (about 80%) chose the MA because of the comparative premium costs of a supplement, and several were keenly focused on the "giveback" amounts and/or spending cards they could use for OTC and groceries or even utility bills. Yes, they are "cheap," with a what-does-it-cost-me-today mentality. I've even known people to change healthcare providers (because of network issues) in order get a kickback.

Now, before you keep going on and on about who belongs in this business, just look in the mirror and know you are looking at a liar. You will quit instantly upon being informed you will not longer be paid, yet you profess you aren't in it for the money. Liars don't belong in this business, though they are plentiful.

My clients know me and trust me and send me their friends and family members. I don't prospect and I don't buy leads, I live on word-of-mouth referrals . . . it's the best possible source of income.

Interesting, you have the same business model as I do. More interesting is that you refer to it as the "best possible source of income" . . . but I thought you said you weren't in it for the money?????

Not quoting anyone in particular but I keep seeing "oh you just care about the money".

Excuse me for noticing, but to me the money on the MAPD is just commensurate. Not over the top. I suppose it's subjective. The hoop jumping with certs and compliance is just the beginning, followed by customer service and paper work and perfect files in the event of an audit etc, oh and for me the stress of making absolute sure the meds and docs fit each plan and incessant double checking everything twice. Deep diving when something doesn't sound right or a sitch comes up that's not in the 200 page evidences of coverage...on and on.

Yah, the money isn't as easy as some would like to project. It would be easier for me to buy more land to farm and sending my farm boys out to pick my money, but apparently all the foreigners are buying up all the land and outlandish prices. LOL. So for now, it's the Medicare supplemental income that's keeping me occupied. I don't think it's "easy" money, ripe for the pickin when it's AEP time or Certs time.

Subjective and makes me laugh at those that think this way.

Not quoting anyone in particular but I keep seeing "oh you just care about the money".

Excuse me for noticing, but to me the money on the MAPD is just commensurate. Not over the top. I suppose it's subjective. The hoop jumping with certs and compliance is just the beginning, followed by customer service and paper work and perfect files in the event of an audit etc, oh and for me the stress of making absolute sure the meds and docs fit each plan and incessant double checking everything twice. Deep diving when something doesn't sound right or a sitch comes up that's not in the 200 page evidences of coverage...on and on.

Yah, the money isn't as easy as some would like to project. It would be easier for me to buy more land to farm and sending my farm boys out to pick my money, but apparently all the foreigners are buying up all the land and outlandish prices. LOL. So for now, it's the Medicare supplemental income that's keeping me occupied. I don't think it's "easy" money, ripe for the pickin when it's AEP time or Certs time.

Subjective and makes me laugh at those that think this way.
plus the money for medsupps is actually better than MAPD. Its impressive how the liar medsupp only agents were able to flip the narrative.

Not doing a fully compliant presentations will end your carrier contract in a heart beat. I’m not risking my block of business. I get 48 hour SCOPEs and will never take an application without a fully compliant face to face interview. Sorry, I’m not doing DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE CIVIL RIGHTS DIVISION reviewable phone recordings. I don’t do over the phone sales period. That’s my world.

Back