Is it even worth filing a claim?

izzi

Hey there. Glad I found this community.
I am new to homeownership and already got a problem to solve.

The house I recently purchased has a leaning/cracked retaining wall (8ft high cinder block on property line), it is a solid wall that holds the soil from my neighbors' backyard. His elevation is higher. Well, "it was holding".

We moved in on January 7th and on January 19th the wall was destroyed by really high winds. I got bricks in my backyard, plants are damaged.. all that. Now, I did start a claim with my insurance but straightway they asked for the home inspection report. And the report obviously states that the wall needs attention. With photos. So I canceled the claim at the time and now am thinking — should I try?

So to say, the cost to rebuild the wall is crazy. And even with the neighbor paying for half (agreed), it's still crazy.

Let me know your thoughts please. Thank you.

Make the claim. Submit the inspection. Get some documentation of the wind speed at your location. It's possible that the wind was strong enough to knock over the wall even in the best of condition.

The worst that can happen is the claim rep denies the claim which makes you no worse off than you were since you were going to have to replace the wall eventually anyway.

Make the claim. Submit the inspection. Get some documentation of the wind speed at your location. It's possible that the wind was strong enough to knock over the wall even in the best of condition.

The worst that can happen is the claim rep denies the claim which makes you no worse off than you were since you were going to have to replace the wall eventually anyway.
Thank you. That was my initial thought but then I was told my insurance can go up in price even if the claim is denied.

I'm having trouble understanding a few parts of your question.

-How does a retaining wall get damaged by wind?
-If it damaged the retaining wall, I assume there is plenty of other damage you forgot to mention?
-Why wouldn't you file a claim?

I'm having trouble understanding a few parts of your question.

-How does a retaining wall get damaged by wind?
-If it damaged the retaining wall, I assume there is plenty of other damage you forgot to mention?
-Why wouldn't you file a claim?

Here is how. It was a 120-150mph wind.

The wall did have signs of wear. It was leaning towards my property and had cracks. It's all noted and illustrated in the inspection report. And I thought no one is going to cover it given that it's all in the report. And I'll just end up paying more for the insurance.

I don't know if not sharing that report would be ok, btw. Do I have to if insurance asks me?

Attachments

• IMG_3930.jpg
    IMG_3930.jpg
    244.5 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Back