I don't know where to start in this career

totalnewb7

Hi, I'm a 31 yr old guy with a wife. I don't have a Bachelors degree. To preface, I'm sorry if this post comes off frustrated or negative and I'm sorry if this post turns out long. I am hungrier to win more than anyone on the planet right now. I have had a very hard year filled with disappointment and I NEED to change my circumstances.

My background is a little over 10 years of sales background mixed with technical support. I recently wasted a solid year of my life trying to pivot into the tech field, and was unable to obtain an entry level job. Recruiters told me there is a major recession, layoffs, and for the few entry level positions there are up to 400 applicants per job. So I gave up, spent most of my savings during the year. Going back to the original dream which is being an insurance agent and hopefully eventually being successful and seeing residual income.

I just acquired my Life & Health license. If I stayed on the life & health side, I was thinking of doing Final Expense then branching into Medicaid. Are the chargebacks very frequent with FE? And can I earn year round in Health or is it more of an OEP 2 months out of the year thing? I know with FE the residuals aren't great and have been seeing some supplement with Medicare sales for this reason.

I only have about 3 (mayyybe 4) months living expenses saved, and I am an Amazon driver currently and feel profoundly grateful to even have this job, it's a modest salary I can't feasibly save a huge nest egg to handle not getting paid for much longer than a month or two. How long does it take to start getting paid by the carriers? Assuming I make sales the first month.

So I'm thinking about getting my Property & Casualty license as well. It seems like there aren't many jobs on the Life & Health side that have a base salary... they seem to mostly be 100% commission. Which is fine with me, as long as the leads are real and interested in actually buying a policy. I have done sales and excelled with it for 10 years until Covid hit, so I know making sales are partially about sales and consultation skills, but if someone doesn't want to buy a policy or if calling about a stimulus check/gift card they were promised... that's not much of a lead. There are so many of these companies and I have no idea of the lead quality. Some say it's warm transfers, and it's made my call screeners in another country.

So anyway, many of the P & C jobs I see have a base salary. Why is that?

And I don't know how people are getting hired and sponsored to get their licensing paid for by the company. I went out and did it by myself. My resume doesn't suck, I know that much.

All of the P & C companies, including Allstate and State Farm, all instantly reject me. My resume doesn't suck, I know that much.

People say to find a local independent agancy, I can't find a local agency in my area, they all ghost me or sound really disappointed when I call in after they hear I'm not a prospect.

So far the only 1099 offers I've gotten are in Final Expense and Health.

I'm afraid if I get my P & C it will be wasted money and I'll continue not getting hired. It also seems like niching down or pivoting to the commercial side is where the better income is, and the job ads seem really picky as in even 2 years AllState or something isn't good enough, they want a proven producer in COMMERCIAL policies and seems like a college degree, so I don't understand how to pivot within the P & C world.

A few of the companies I have on the table who are willing to give me a chance, please let me know if you've heard of these:

[EXTERNAL LINK] - Contracting - Agentboost

https://www.lp.finalexpensedirect.com/

Ideal Concepts IMO

Please let me know if you have any advice or what you would do if you were new .... life & health vs. p & c. Thank you for taking the time to read my post.

P&C jobs have a base salary because they want you to do a lot of clerical work that won’t result in any commissions in addition to your sales efforts.

My advice is to do ONE thing and get it making money. Once you have that going well, you can add to it if you want to.

Depending on where you are in KY you might be a drivable distance to my office. I would be happy to have a talk about the industry and how to get going. I’m 26 years in and have been very successful. My office is in Evansville, Indiana.

Please let me know if you have any advice or what you would do if you were new ....

I suggest reading Newby's post a couple of times and contacting him to take him up on his offer. They may or may not be a fit for you but I believe he will be straight with you.

I started out of the construction field. A GED, Going through a divorce. Moved 3 hours from home sleeping on a buddy's couch. in 1985.
Hustle trumps a bachelor's degree in this business, IMohsoHO.

P&C jobs have a base salary because they want you to do a lot of clerical work that won’t result in any commissions in addition to your sales efforts.

My advice is to do ONE thing and get it making money. Once you have that going well, you can add to it if you want to.

Depending on where you are in KY you might be a drivable distance to my office. I would be happy to have a talk about the industry and how to get going. I’m 26 years in and have been very successful. My office is in Evansville, Indiana.
Hey, I appreciate that. I'll private message you to talk, when it's good for you after the holidays.

Back