Is it possible to make a career without selling to your family and friends?

Because everyone I know does it online themselves. And since I'm new to the field, I don't have any kind of expertise to offer anyway.
If everyone you know shops online then would that not mean that every one you don't know also shops on line. I doubt the people you know are that unique from everyone else. Therefore, you, I and all the other agents need to find an new career as there is no longer a need for us or anyone for us to which we can sell our products. :twitchy:

And since I'm new to the field, I don't have any kind of expertise to offer anyway.
This business can be dangerous if you don't know what you're doing since you can legitimately hurt people's finances.

That being said, everyone starts somewhere so just make sure wherever you end up working there is someone who is going to be available to help coach/mentor and educate you on best practices/policies.

What you shouldn't let shake your confidence is your lack of expertise (easier said than done). If you have a good sounding board and someone who can help guide you when writing coverage, you don't need to know everything. You just need to find people who have problems that you can solve.

If we both encounter a bear walking through the forest, I don't need to outrun the bear, I just need to outrun you. So, even with minimal knowledge, you're going to know what your clients need more than they do (once you do a fact-find) AND hopefully, you have the support to design the right plan for that client.

Most financial services work this way.

the owners kept telling me that they expected me to refer my family and friends.
Bad Plan. I was once pressured to do this too and didn't.

A much better plan is to go work for an agency where you learn the insurance process. Learn the industry and learn the ins and outs. Do not use up your friends and family.

Ask yourself one question, what happens when you run out of friends and family? Then what are you going to do at this "job"? If you are going to be an insurance agent you need to learn how to sell to people that you do not already know. At first you will chase down horrible, horrible leads, just to get some deals done. At the end you will live on referals.

You will likley learn more in one day working with an agency that is dialed in then three months off alone selling insurance to your mom.

Best of Luck

Back