Is It Worth It for an Independent Agent to Obtain an MBA?

I have always been told that B.S. stands for what comes out of the backside of a bull. M.S. stands for more of the same and PhD stands for piled higher and deeper. I think the majority of the rinky-dink MBA programs fit into the same category. I worked with a guy with a MBA who didn't seem to know anything about business. There wasn't a subject that I couldn't run circles around him on.

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit (what you learn in school)

Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad (what you learn in the field)

Know what education my P&C agent has? I have no idea, and I don't care. I just know if I have a question, he can answer it. If he does not know the answer, I know he will call me back with it.

Personally, I never even enrolled in college. Have no letters behind my name, and I have never lost a sale because of either.

I recently attended a young agent conference here in Marquette, and one of the speakers was a professor from Michigan Tech. A follow up email was sent inviting me to seek and start working towards getting my MBA. I don't have an undergraduate degree, but I do have work experience, so if I meet the requirements of their online program, would it be worth my time to get my MBA? Do any of you have yours? Has it helped in any specific way? One of the things I noticed on Tech's website is the opportunity to network during a couple of their on-campus weekend residencies. What do you guys think? Should I do it?

I have a BS degree in Business and MS degree in marketing communications from FSU and I ended up selling Insurance.If someone had told me i would be an insurance salesmen while i was schooling I would have said your crazy.I am not sorry I did it though i wouldn't trade all the partying, football game days, hottie co ed etc. experience for anything in the world!!!

I have a BS degree in Business and MS degree in marketing communications from FSU and I ended up selling Insurance.If someone had told me i would be an insurance salesmen while i was schooling I would have said your crazy.I am not sorry I did it though i wouldn't trade all the partying, football game days, hottie co ed etc. experience for anything in the world!!!

This is EXACTLY the advice, I have for every young person (including my Son whose heading into Senior yr of H/S) go ahead EXPERIENCE college.

Life is long and there are WORSE things you could be doing between 18-22...so why not learn some stuff you shouldn't, drink some stuff shouldn't, bed some women you shouldn't by all means GROW UP a little
All the 'joys' of paying for chit, having kids and other grown up crap...will still be here when you're in your mid-late 20's.

Now if a kid is on.... say a M.D. track or gets into an IVY or something that's different (still enjoy but different track)....
My issue comes with our society 'bamboozling' these kids into thinking by just attending college that their ticket is punched...that's B.S.
(Many of us come to realize...it's just smoke & mirrors before they bring in the clowns...so why not enjoy the show & Dad will show you the ropes once life brings on the 'live' rounds:biggrin:)

I'm with @yogoogle, if your not in an Ivy 'enjoy' school ....
it won't 'hurt' you just remember it won't, make you, either.:err:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back