Is there Coverage for this? Home Torn down due to [Wrong Address?]

marindependent

Guru
1000 Post Club
"
ATLANTA (AP) — A homeowner is mulling the next step after a company mistakenly demolished a home she owned in southwest Atlanta. Susan Hodgson said in an interview Saturday with The Associated Press that she found a pile of rubble in place of what used to be her longtime family property when she returned from vacation last month.
She said a neighbor called her while she was away and asked if someone had been hired to tear down the vacant house. “I said ‘no’ and she said, ‘Well, there’s someone over here who just demolished the whole house and tore it all down,’” Hodgson recalled. When the neighbor confronted them, Hodgson said, the workers got nasty. “He told her to shut up and mind her own business,” Hodgson said.

She sent a family member over to see what was going on and who asked to see a permit. When a person in charge at the site checked his permit, Hodgson said he admitted he was at the wrong address.
“It’s been boarded up about 15 years, and we keep it boarded, covered, grass cut, and the yard is clean,” she said. “The taxes are paid and everything is up on it.”
Hodgson said she’s filed a report with police and has talked with lawyers but that they remain in limbo so far.
The company did not immediately return a telephone message left Saturday. In a statement to WAGA-TV, the company said it is investigating and working to resolve the mishap."

AP Article

Depends on what kind of policy the owner had. With a standard ISO Form HO-3 I'd say the destruction of the dwelling would be covered.

The HO-3 covers the dwelling (Coverage A) and other structures (Coverage B) for "risk of direct physical loss to property described in Coverages A and B" unless specifically excluded.

There is no specific exclusion describing the event that occurred to the Hodgson's property.

Any contents present in the dwelling might not be covered because contents coverage is Named Perils and there is nothing on the list of Named Perils that describes what happened to the contents. I wrote "might" because the Vehicle damage peril could be stretched some depending on the type of equipment used.

My opinion is based one edition of the HO-3. Others may vary as may proprietary policies of various insurance companies.

Depends on what kind of policy the owner had. With a standard ISO Form HO-3 I'd say the destruction of the dwelling would be covered.

The HO-3 covers the dwelling (Coverage A) and other structures (Coverage B) for "risk of direct physical loss to property described in Coverages A and B" unless specifically excluded.

There is no specific exclusion describing the event that occurred to the Hodgson's property.

Any contents present in the dwelling might not be covered because contents coverage is Named Perils and there is nothing on the list of Named Perils that describes what happened to the contents. I wrote "might" because the Vehicle damage peril could be stretched some depending on the type of equipment used.

My opinion is based one edition of the HO-3. Others may vary as may proprietary policies of various insurance companies.

You think a house boarded up & vacant for 15 years would have any coverage. Wouldn't the occupancy exclusion apply?

Only possible coverage i see is if the contractor has professional liability. I dont see property damage or general liability paying as it was an intentional act to take down a house. If i am a fertilizing company that accidentally sprays a persons yard with roundup instead, i think only professional liability will pay, not GL or PD.

Even if PD paid, it will be at ACV.....and what is the ACV on a boarded up house vacant fir 15 years that didn't have enough value to be occupied by owner, rented out or sold.

First she needs to find out if there was a notice from her carrier non renewing the policy due to vacancy. Second, hire an attorney to file a claim against the construction company.

Back