Is this good business or anti-consumer?

State Farm has a similar policy. ( I know because I'm an insured)
I've run into carriers that will only take EFT. I simply explain it to clients and if they don't like it then move to another carrier. Looking back over the years I had alot of EFT problems when I did p and c. But the health policies I have only had one problem and it was caused by a voided policy. My experience with BCBS NM and the EFT was excellent. 5 years and not one complaint.

I find the vast majority of my clients prefer either credit card or EFT so they don't have to think about it. One less bill to deal with for them.

I know there are some people who simply don't want to give access to either cc or eft, and that is their right. But they may have to pay a little extra for it and should be willing to accept that.

Dave
www.davefluker.com

I know there are some people who simply don't want to give access to either cc or eft, and that is their right. But they may have to pay a little extra for it and should be willing to accept that.

Why is it that these days everything that is good for the company is 'free' but what is good for the consumer cost extra? People hate to be nickled and dimed, especially for things that used to be considered a cost of doing business. I used to love my bank, but in the past ten years that they have become fee-based, not so much anymore. (They say they make more off of fees than loans!) Same with the phone companies (land and cell).

I know why so many young people hate big business and why the anti-globalization movement is so strong. And I know why I'd rather deal with any small biz than any large one.

Who is by far the most "loved" insurance carrier in the country? USAA. Why? Because they treat their customers with respect and 'love' and not as sponges to wring money out of.

Al
(no, I don't have USAA... but wish I did/could)

Why is it that these days everything that is good for the company is 'free' but what is good for the consumer cost extra?

Not true... When it's good for the company they charge for it also! Think about the ATM fees. You can go to a different bank, use the ATM, and get billed by the other bank (I can accept this), AND you get billed by your bank. On the other hand, you can write a check (remember those) at the grocery store, and not get billed by either the grocery store or your bank.

Problem with this scenerio is it cost your bank less to process that ATM transaction (i.e., $0.0000001) than it did to process the check. BUT, they charge you anyway, since it's not only a convenience to them, but it's a convenience to you to have access to your cash.

It is a case of you'll pay it, or not. The bank doesn't care.

Dan

Service is declining in our society, due mainly as a bottom line tool of saving and increasing profits. Sooner or later you reach the point of declining returns, I think that is what we're seeing with companies the insist on ETF's or other automatic payment methods. While many find these type of transactions beneficial others find them intrusive. Fact is billing is a built in to price, the fact that they want to charge more for billing isn't about recovering cost but increasing profits.

I have had clients using EFT for many years. Never had a complaint. In one instance there was a mixup because of a change of banks by the client and a failure to notify the insurance company. It was quickly resolved to the satisfaction of all parties.;)

Back