Is This Legal (re Policy Effective Date)?

mileena

Expert
If you are driving with no insurance and cause an accident, can you go home and sign up for insurance that same day, so you will be covered for the accident? the effective date of the new policy will be the same as the date of the accident, so you should be good, right?

or what if you have a rock hit your windshield and cause it to crack, but have no insurance? Can you sign up a few days later, then make a claim? how will the insurance company know when the crack occurred?

thanks for any help!

Every insurance company worth their salt will conduct a -0 policy investigation under a Reservation of Rights.
They WILL NOT commit coverage to your fraudulent claim until they are satisfied that it ocurred AFTER the policy incept DATE and TIME.
Most people believe insurance companies just sell policies and pay out as soon as a claim is made.
Believe me when I say that it is never so simple as this.

thanks. i only asked since someone mentioned this tip on another website, and it seemed to make sense.

Of course. That's just how insurance works. I do it all the time for my auto insurance clients.

I ask them to pay a bit extra in a separate check to me, but it's easy to do.

The companies and the state insurance department encourage this because it's not only good public releations, but the reason we have insurance.

Dislaimer: This is not legal in some of the 57 states.

i am real.

three times in my life i have been parked and then hit by another car while i was shopping or inside. on two of the times they left and did not leave a note. i did not have collision or comprehensive. how was i supposed to pay for the damage that was not my fault?

i should not have to pay.

i am real.

three times in my life i have been parked and then hit by another car while i was shopping or inside. on two of the times they left and did not leave a note. i did not have collision or comprehensive. how was i supposed to pay for the damage that was not my fault?

i should not have to pay.

You could have purchased insurance coverage but that would take an IQ over 50. Or pay for the damage yourself.

Same kind of thing happened to me. I was playing softball and slid into 3rd. Twisted my ankle. It wasn't my fault because if I didn't slide, I would have been taggesd out. How was I supposed to pay for the doctor's visit without insurance?

Also, one time I bought some milk and put it in the back of the fridge. By the time I noticed it was there, the expiration date was 6 weeks old. The damn store didn't take it back. I had to pay for another quart of milk.

I'm tired of being responsible for myself. Much better to blame someone else.

Rick

i would get insurance if companies charged a reasonable rate.

14 years ago i got a quote from liberty mutual of about $250 per year for just liability. but as soon as the agent found out i needed an sr-22, he said he could not insure me! what is the basis for that?

today i just got a quote from geico. $360 a year for just liability, but $1000 a year if i wanted comp/collision as well. so they want $640 extra a year for comprehensive/collision for a 2007 minivan which has $10,000 worth of damage on it (they did not ask on the online form if my car had damage)? i thought geico was supposed to be cheap, like those cavemen say.

Back