Juvenile High Risk Inquiry

Emery Park

Hi folks, got a pretty unique case here and am looking for some advice.

16 year old girl
Non tobacco
5'4" tall 210 lbs
History of strokes since age 11
Now on Depakote 500mg twice a day
Stroke free for past 2 years

Is there anything in terms of life insurance for her?

Thanks everyone!

Harry

"Strokes" or seizures? I suspect seizures.

If tonic-clonic/grand Mal, 2 years event free, Swiss Re is T-4, Gen Re decline.

If absence/petit mal, 2 years event free, Swiss is "possibly standard", Gen Re is "possibly standard".

Her medication could be for either.

Her build is also close to an additional table.

So you need to go back and define the specific seizure type she has since that's really going to dictate the rate.

"Strokes" or seizures? I suspect seizures.

If tonic-clonic/grand Mal, 2 years event free, Swiss Re is T-4, Gen Re decline.

If absence/petit mal, 2 years event free, Swiss is "possibly standard", Gen Re is "possibly standard".

Her medication could be for either.

Her build is also close to an additional table.

So you need to go back and define the specific seizure type she has since that's really going to dictate the rate.

Man, you are a great resource. Glad you are here. Lee
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Hi folks, got a pretty unique case here and am looking for some advice.

16 year old girl
Non tobacco
5'4" tall 210 lbs
History of strokes since age 11
Now on Depakote 500mg twice a day
Stroke free for past 2 years

Is there anything in terms of life insurance for her?

Thanks everyone!

Harry

Of course if she can get a larger fully underwritten policy that is the way to go. United Heritage may go graded.

Last edited:
Yea I suspected the same. So I went back and verified that it in fact is strokes. Not seizures.

Any insurance companies out there that would work with her??

Harry

Yea I suspected the same. So I went back and verified that it in fact is strokes. Not seizures.

Harry

Very odd. Depakote is specifically an anticonvulsant, it does however occasionally have an off-label use for mood disorders like depression, bipolar. Would need to ask it's specific use because it's not used for strokes.

Anyhow, now we need to ask if these are "mini-strokes(TIA - transient ischemic attack) or full strokes. (CVA - cerebral vascular accident) The difference being TIAs you can fully recover from with no residuals. CVAs you will only partially recover from, they leave a lasting neurological impact.

So 2 scenerios.
Recurring CVAs - both manuals "usually decline"
Recurring TIAs -
Swiss Re: Postpone 1 year from last attack. Then likely T-6 + $5 flat extra for 3 years
Gen Re: Postpone 5 years, then individual consideration. (Likely very high substandard.)

I have no suggestions, but my thoughts are with that poor girl and hoping her health improves. Hope you can help her.

Northman Life coverage is the foundation of smart financial planning. Have your life insurance in place and know your worst case is taken care of. You should visit on northman.co.

Harry

Something tells me there's a different process or diagnosis the parents either don't know enough to say or haven't gone through a full neuro evaluation. If it's full on recurrent strokes I think IM's suggestion is about your only route. Front line carriers are mostly going to tell you to postpone until at least 18 (on the hope this gets somehow better when she gets older) and the interim history stays clean.

I think she might qualify for Mutual of Omaha Children's plan up to $ 30,000 WL. If she's looking for more coverage she could put together a few different children plans. They are cheep enough.

Back