Keep Your Doctor or Your Insurer? Little-Known Rules May Ease the Choice in Medicare Advantage

Duaine

Guru
100+ Post Club
An Escape Hatch

CMS gives most Advantage members two chances to change plans: during the annual open enrollment period in the fall and from January until March 31.

But a few years ago, CMS created an escape hatch by expanding special enrollment periods, or SEPs, which allow for “exceptional circumstances.” Beneficiaries who qualify can request SEPs to change plans or return to original Medicare.

According to CMS rules, there’s an SEP patients may use if their health is in jeopardy due to problems getting or continuing care. This may include situations in which their health care providers are leaving their plans’ networks, said David Lipschutz, an associate director at the Center for Medicare Advocacy.

Another SEP is available for beneficiaries who experience “significant” network changes, although CMS officials declined to explain what qualifies as significant. However, in 2014, CMS offered this SEP to UnitedHealthcare Advantage members after the insurer terminated contracts with providers in 10 states.

When providers leave, CMS ensures that the plans maintain “adequate access to needed services,” Meena Seshamani, CMS deputy administrator and director of the federal Center for Medicare, said in a statement.

Honestly, allowing an SEP due to a provider leaving a network only makes sense. If providers can leave a network mid-year, why shouldn't members be allowed to switch plans?

Honestly, allowing an SEP due to a provider leaving a network only makes sense. If providers can leave a network mid-year, why shouldn't members be allowed to switch plans?

Some years ago maybe 5 or more, Many doctors dropped UHC in FL in the summer and people were stuck

Some years ago maybe 5 or more, Many doctors dropped UHC in FL in the summer and people were stuck

In my opinion, UHC has the second largest network in FL. Second to Fl blue.
80% of doctors that I look up on S&S take uhc.

I do remember uhc losing some doctors, like you mentioned, though.

In my opinion, UHC has the second largest network in FL. Second to Fl blue.
80% of doctors that I look up on S&S take uhc.

I do remember uhc losing some doctors, like you mentioned, though.

could have been 2015 or 16 or something like that, there was lot of panic at the time, it was over the summer

But yes I agree they recovered well

could have been 2015 or 16 or something like that, there was lot of panic at the time, it was over the summer

But yes I agree they recovered well

happened circa 2012-2015 UHC called it " network optimization" and the announcement was made in the summer but change didn't take place until Jan 1st.

happened circa 2012-2015 UHC called it " network optimization" and the announcement was made in the summer but change didn't take place until Jan 1st.
All I know is what I remember which was the panic and I am pretty sure I had at least 1 or 2 clients who needed to change doctors

it was not over a 3 year period but was only one summer and then it was over

All I know is what I remember which was the panic and I am pretty sure I had at least 1 or 2 clients who needed to change doctors

it was not over a 3 year period but was only one summer and then it was over
I meant it happened in either in 20212,2013 or 2014 and the doctors were dropped off at the end of the year so members were definitely giving fair warning.In my part of Florida it hit hard.

Back