Kia Optima 2018 stuck in auto shop for 7 months

Fatimapeter

Hi,
Our car Kia Optima 2018 was broken into by a thief on October 1st 2022. Before he could steal it from our driveway, our neighbor came and stopped him. Our insurance carrier Geico had it towed to the repair shop in Newark, CA on Oct 3, 2022.
The car has been sitting in the repair shop waiting for parts from Korea. We are still paying insurance premium for that car. Geico says that they can’t do anything. We have talked to Kia dealer and he says unless Kia Optima cars are sold, they won’t make those parts.
I would like to know whether the insurance to find a way to get it fixed or call it totaled and give us some $$ to buy another car.
Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Fatima Peter

What I do not understand is why the car is in the shop for repairs by the insurance company? The would be thief never had the chance to steal your car. Did the thief damage your car prior to him trying to steal it? What did the thief damage? What is it that the insurance company says they can't do? You want the specifics about why the insurance company isn't doing anything. A car should never be at a dealership for more than 30 days ever. If the car is there more than 30 days it is considered a lemon. How old is your car? In this case as you stated, you should be compensated for repairs, refund, or compensation for a new car. Do not accept vagueness from your insurance company.

What the dealership told you didn't make sense to me, so I surfed the web for you and apparently KIA parts are hard to find. Your question on this forum is part insurance related, repair shop related, and a legal matter. Go to https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/are-kias-hard-to-find-parts-for.313964/

On this forum tell them how long your vehicle has been in the shop and the reasoning they gave you: "We have talked to Kia dealer and he says unless Kia Optima cars are sold, they won’t make those parts". Come back to this post and update us on what you were told by the link I gave you and what the insurance company tells you after you talk to them again.

You might need an attorney but let's try to resolve this without one.

Hi Deborah,
Thank you for your quick response. The thief broken both windows and tried to break open the steering column before the neighbor stopped him. It is towed to a repair shop by the insurance. As you indicated, I will post in that forum what parts are needed to fix the damage.
Thanks & Regards
Fatima Peter

Hi,
Our car Kia Optima 2018 was broken into by a thief on October 1st 2022. Before he could steal it from our driveway, our neighbor came and stopped him. Our insurance carrier Geico had it towed to the repair shop in Newark, CA on Oct 3, 2022.
The car has been sitting in the repair shop waiting for parts from Korea. We are still paying insurance premium for that car. Geico says that they can’t do anything. We have talked to Kia dealer and he says unless Kia Optima cars are sold, they won’t make those parts.
I would like to know whether the insurance to find a way to get it fixed or call it totaled and give us some $$ to buy another car.
Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Fatima Peter

There are possible solutions to the insurance premium being paid.

You need to get the car classified as not being currently in use. I am not an auto insurance agent, but others will come along and give you the correct terminology and procedure to follow with your insurer. It will not eliminate premiums, but it should reduce them.

Also, try https://car-part.com to find used car parts across the nation.

Last edited:
I would contact an attorney -- one who specializes in lender/manufacturer liability, insurance, etc. -- and see exactly what he he/she says as far as options, potential damages, who is to blame, who has and has not done their job, etc. The attorney may recommend notifying the Department of Insurance, Secretary of State, Bureau of Consumer Affairs, and other state agencies. After that I would speak with a public adjuster and ask them if you have any potential claim. Good luck.

What I do not understand is why the car is in the shop for repairs by the insurance company? The would be thief never had the chance to steal your car. Did the thief damage your car prior to him trying to steal it? What did the thief damage? What is it that the insurance company says they can't do? You want the specifics about why the insurance company isn't doing anything. A car should never be at a dealership for more than 30 days ever. If the car is there more than 30 days it is considered a lemon. How old is your car? In this case as you stated, you should be compensated for repairs, refund, or compensation for a new car. Do not accept vagueness from your insurance company.

What the dealership told you didn't make sense to me, so I surfed the web for you and apparently KIA parts are hard to find. Your question on this forum is part insurance related, repair shop related, and a legal matter. Go to https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/are-kias-hard-to-find-parts-for.313964/

On this forum tell them how long your vehicle has been in the shop and the reasoning they gave you: "We have talked to Kia dealer and he says unless Kia Optima cars are sold, they won’t make those parts". Come back to this post and update us on what you were told by the link I gave you and what the insurance company tells you after you talk to them again.

You might need an attorney but let's try to resolve this without one.

Hi,
Thanks for your response. We contacted the Insurance Commissioner after 2 months and he just contacted the the insult agent from Geico who did nothing. They increased our premium after that.
We are leaning towards consulting a lawyer. Is there any lawyer you would recommend?
Thanks & Regards
Fatima Peter

If the car is there more than 30 days it is considered a lemon.

No, you are clueless about lemon laws. They have nothing to do with damage.

How old is your car?

Poster wrote 2018 in the first post.

You might need an attorney

Right. $400 per hour for something that litigation won't help.

Thank you for your quick response. The thief broken both windows and tried to break open the steering column before the neighbor stopped him. It is towed to a repair shop by the insurance.

If it can be driven at all, you'll want to keep all the insurance on it. If it can't be driven at all you might be able to suspend the liability part if you surrender your plates to the DMV. If you still have a loan, your lender will not allow you to suspend the comprehensive and collision coverage. Of course, if you pay off the loan, you can do that and take your chances that it won't be further damaged at the shop.

Do you have an estimate of the cost of repairs?

I would contact an attorney -- one who specializes in lender/manufacturer liability, insurance, etc. -- and see exactly what he he/she says as far as options, potential damages, who is to blame, who has and has not done their job, etc. The attorney may recommend notifying the Department of Insurance, Secretary of State, Bureau of Consumer Affairs, and other state agencies. After that I would speak with a public adjuster and ask them if you have any potential claim.

Where do these ideas come from? GEICO isn't doing anything wrong. The repair shop isn't doing anything wrong. The dealer isn't doing anything wrong. It's just bad freakin' luck that parts aren't available.

We contacted the Insurance Commissioner after 2 months and he just contacted the the insult agent from Geico who did nothing. They increased our premium after that.
We are leaning towards consulting a lawyer. Is there any lawyer you would recommend?

Instead of wasting your time and your money I suggest you have the shop call around to wrecking yards for replacement parts. I'm sure that there are plenty of wrecked Kias that have intact steering columns and windows. That should have been done months ago.

Even the bottom of the line Kia Optima with average miles is worth at least $17,000. If the repair cost is $5000 to $10,000 it's not going to be a total loss.

Back