Knob & Tube - Will ANYBODY Write It?

I am finding that Knob and Tube [here in CA] is pretty much almost uninsurable these days.

Anyone else have any suggestions? Any markets what so ever.

And yes I know that this thread is old, but the problem remains the same, if not worse.
This won't help you in CA, but here in FL the only carrier that will take knob + tube wiring is Citizens, the state-run "insurer of last resort". And they will only take it with a clean 4 Point inspection showing good condition and no other issues.

What happens if the house is maybe 1/3 knob and tube and the rest is new wiring?

And if there is also a new breaker box, how would the insurance company even know there was any knob and tube left in the house?

What happens if the house is maybe 1/3 knob and tube and the rest is new wiring?

And if there is also a new breaker box, how would the insurance company even know there was any knob and tube left in the house?
They wouldn't. And if it didn't show on a 4 Point inspection, the agent probably wouldn't know either. But when the adjuster comes out for the inevitable fire claim and sees the knob + tube remnants, that's all the excuse they need to cancel the policy rather than pay the claim.

how would the insurance company even know there was any knob and tube left in the house?
Great Question

when the adjuster comes out for the inevitable fire claim and sees the knob + tube remnants, that's all the excuse they need to cancel the policy rather than pay the claim.
Yep...that has always been my fear.

And a more challenging question is in the instances when consumers actually disconnected the knob and tube and install new electrical, but for logistical reasons do not remove the old knob and tube and then ten years later there is a fire - how will the adjuster know that?

And a more challenging question is in the instances when consumers actually disconnected the knob and tube and install new electrical, but for logistical reasons do not remove the old knob and tube and then ten years later there is a fire - how will the adjuster know that?
Another valid question. That's when it pays to save receipts and work orders, in case you have to prove something later.

Back