Laptop or Desktop!

iiinycboi

Guru
100+ Post Club
so my office computer just went to dead....

what do you guys prefer?? pros and cons?

i have a home office and a work office and i like to cold canvas.

should i get a 17inch laptop so i can just use it at home, work, and on site? is this too heavy?

or should i just get 2 cheapo desktops and use my ipad on site?

I prefer BIG screens, so at my home office, I have a 40 inch TV that is my monitor, then a laptop for when I leave

I like laptops because I always have the option of taking them with me, especially if I leave town. I use an external monitor when I'm at my desk so I have two screens on each (I have a mac and a PC).

My laptop is a Dell Inspiron 11z 11.6" with an Intel i3 processor and 6 GB RAM.

Basically there isn't much I can't do on this little thing.

It has HDMI and VGA ports to hook up to external displays and my USB hub.

At 11.6", it's small and light enough to canvass with - if that's what you want to do.

The screen resolution is 1366x768 so I don't have to make any compromises in running programs. (Pay attention to this if you look at netbook-sized computers). YIO can't function well enough on a netbook with 1024x600.

You may want to look at the Dell Latitude line of computers because they can use docking stations so you can simply "dock" your laptop and it will behave like a desktop since everything is already connected.

i have the dell 11z 13in i think, do you know if they have docking stations for that? i think i will goto the docking station laptop route, because i have a stamp weighing machine, 2 printers, wireless keyboards, monitors and plantronic headset to attach

it would be a pain to unplug and plug it everytime

No Dell docking stations for the 11z series. If you look on the bottom of the laptop, you'd find a connector for one if it was there.

There are universal docking stations out there. Instead of one connector of a docking station, you'd need 2: 1 Laptop AC adaptor (like you're always using) and 1 USB to connect your dock.

The only advantage of a universal docking station is that you can connect your display to it. Otherwise, for my purposes, it's just a really expensive USB hub.

You can do a search on Amazon or any other tech site and search for 'universal docking station' and check them out.

There is even a WIRELESS docking station that could be worth checking out.

A laptop with a large monitor in the office is nice. I actually currently have a desktop and two laptops ( a 15.6" and a 17").

Last edited:
I'm using a 17" laptop for everything, both in the office and out. It's not THAT heavy. I also carry an external monitor (21") when I need more people to see what I'm doing than can easily see my laptop screen.

I have a HP laptop with a 60" monitor. I have a projector in the office that I can connect the laptop to for when I need a bigger screen. I also use coke bottles for spectacles....

Back