Large oak tree leaning

Pammy

My home is in Charleston, SC so keep in mind we are in hurricane territory. I have a red oak tree that is approximately 25 ft high and 5 ft in diameter, well over the city’s limit to enable me to cut it down without a permit. I have already trimmed the tree as much as is permitted and have tried on 3 separate occasions to get a permit and have been denied by the city. The tree’s trunk is within 2 feet of the foundation of my home. The door to the crawl space of my home is buckled and the fence that is also within 2 feet of the trunk is getting pushed out of the ground a little more each year because the tree is leaning a little more each year. When the city official came to look at the tree in person, he commented that the tree shouldn’t have been allowed to stay when the house was built 16 years ago because of its proximity to the house.
If the tree falls and causes damage to my home and my neighbor’s house, my insurance will go up and I am the one left paying the tab. I am trying to be a responsible home owner and cut it down before damages are done but keep getting blocked by the city and its rules.
I have appealed the city’s ruling decision and reached out to my local councilman. The councilman agrees that I should be granted the permit.
Can my insurance provider help or will that just cause me to pay higher premiums once they find out this information?

Asking your insurance carrier for an inspection could help but could also be cause for a non-renewal if the tree is not removed. If the city still denies your request you could be stuck with no insurance. What would the city say if the tree showed disease or was dead? Home Depot sells some pretty good tree poison that in small doses might help the tree to get real sick

I made other suggestions on another site.

1 - You don't need a permit to trim the tree. Hire a tree trimmer to lop off branches from the top down until all you have left is the trunk.

2 - If the tree is leaning against your house, there should be some way of bracing it to keep it away even if it's a few inches.

3 - As for the roots, dig trenches along both sides of the tree and install root barriers.

This situation is going to cost you big bucks no matter what you do so do something.

As a last resort, ignore the city and get somebody out there on a Sunday (when bureaucrats disappear) to remove the tree and haul it away. It'll be worth paying the fine to protect your property.

Leave your insurance company out of this.

"As a last resort, ignore the city and get somebody out there on a Sunday (when bureaucrats disappear) to remove the tree and haul it away. It'll be worth paying the fine to protect your property".

If removed in its entirety how would they prove that it didn't fall over?

"As a last resort, ignore the city and get somebody out there on a Sunday (when bureaucrats disappear) to remove the tree and haul it away. It'll be worth paying the fine to protect your property".

If removed in its entirety how would they prove that it didn't fall over?

Maybe chop it down, haul it away, and report it stolen?

Latest posts

Back