Late Starter

Jeff Bassett

Hi. So, I am in my 50's. Have spent last decade in p&c claims (work comp). Have prior sales experience and have life, health, p&c licenses. Thinking about getting started my own. I like to be mobile. Thought about working the senior market, life, Medicare etc and with expats. Any suggestions on getting started? Looking to build retirement income in addition to current be income needs.

Hi. So, I am in my 50's. Have spent last decade in p&c claims (work comp). Have prior sales experience and have life, health, p&c licenses. Thinking about getting started my own. I like to be mobile. Thought about working the senior market, life, Medicare etc and with expats. Any suggestions on getting started? Looking to build retirement income in addition to current be income needs.

If your good... start indy and use an IMO. Look up more here before you go out and become a captive agent to an FMO. I started as a captive to a company, then went captive to an FMO... be free and self directed.

Stay free is right. Ask if there is an 'open release' policy before you go with any team/IMO. Don't believe everything you're told. Find a good team in FE that will train you and provide live field underwriting, knowing what carriers take what before you submit is everything. You'll have to have at least 3-4 go-to carriers to begin with. It can be lucrative but you have to be ready to dial or door knock.

Back