Liberty Life Policy written in 1941

Not necessarily. If the company was acquired by successive companies, the certificate would likely be honored by whatever the current company is at the current stock price.
possibly--but with all cash acquisitions, the stock certificate in the old company is worthless as cash was paid for the stock. in all-stock acquisitions you would normally have possibly replaced your old stock with the new stock by sending to the transfer agent involved in the acquisition.

I neglected to mention that I sold that stock a long time ago. I vaguely remember being in a room with a couple of people asking me if I was sure I couldn't find the certificate. I couldn't and they finally processed the sale.

The thing that would really make it confusing to anyone but me is:
When I got out of the service, I had a little money saved up. when I went back to college, I bought a few shares in two companies a college professor recommended. I sold the shares in one, but have kept the shares in the other. Both certificates now live in the safe deposit box.

Now when I buy a little bit of stock on computershare, it's all electronic. I never get to see a certificate.

I neglected to mention that I sold that stock a long time ago. I vaguely remember being in a room with a couple of people asking me if I was sure I couldn't find the certificate. I couldn't and they finally processed the sale.

The thing that would really make it confusing to anyone but me is:
When I got out of the service, I had a little money saved up. when I went back to college, I bought a few shares in two companies a college professor recommended. I sold the shares in one, but have kept the shares in the other. Both certificates now live in the safe deposit box.

Now when I buy a little bit of stock on computershare, it's all electronic. I never get to see a certificate.

Some old stock certificates are rare and collectible now. Yours probably isnt, since most arent, but you never know. They do look cool framed!

Last edited:
The time involved to get the $250 will probably not be worth $250.
Might can be settled with one or two phone calls. It was a 10 pay life so there is a good chance mother bought it and paid it up before turning it over to him. He puts it in a drawer and then forgets about it. If it is still in force, the death benefit will be $250 plus 17 years interest. There is also a good possibility that the funds have been turned over to the unclaimed property division of the state of residence.

I believe that it's worth the time to look into it. I came across an old debit policy taken out on me in 1970, while going through papers after my Mom had passed away.

Nearly $10,000 in death benefit along with thousands of dollars in cash value, although the exact number escapes me at this time. So definitely worth a shot.

Liberty Life was originally domiciled in Greenville, SC.

I grew up very near there and seems like everyone in the upstate had a Liberty Life policy at one time or another. Very popular there. It was a little sad to see them close up shop.

Liberty Life was originally domiciled in Greenville, SC.

I grew up very near there and seems like everyone in the upstate had a Liberty Life policy at one time or another. Very popular there. It was a little sad to see them close up shop.
I wonder if other companies with “Liberty” in their name reap any benefits from their former popularity. When I lived in Virginia, I led with Settlers Life, but referred to them as “Settlers Life & Huff-Cook”. (We were still able to write some Huff-Cook paper at the time.) Mentioning Huff-Cook seemed to produce “warm fuzzies” in the local seniors. “Liberty” might have the same effect in SC, even if it’s not the same company.

Latest posts

Back