Licensing Question

nyc2phi

Guru
1000 Post Club
Hello all,

I am fully licensed (L&H P&C) as a resident in one state. I am moving to another state and that is where my place of business will be. I am keeping my drivers license and everything the same from my original state until it expires which will be at the end of the year.

in terms of my insurance licenses can I apply as a non-resident in the state I am moving to for now and eventually switch to a resident license or do I have to apply as a resident right away? Will I have to take my exams again if I apply as a resident? :unsure:

Your best bet would be to call the DoBI in your state and find out and then call the DoBI in the state you are moving to and find out what they say as well (just to cover all your bases). They will be able to give you the most accurate answers regarding this situation.

Also, I believe you will need to update your driver's license within 30 of moving, especially if you are switching up your insurance license to reflect the new address but I would find out about that as well.

Best of luck!

Yes, you will want to go ahead and apply as a non-resident licensee in the new state.

The next steps depend on the state to which you're moving, and whether or not you need to change your current resident license to a non-resident license after you move.

For most states, you'll request a "Letter of Clearance" from your current resident state. This will cancel your resident license, and allow you to apply for a new resident license in your new resident state. The "Letter of Clearance" will need to be sent to your new resident state to prove that you are in good standing as a resident of another state, and this will prevent you from having to sit for another exam.

You can then call your old resident state, and have your old resident state's license reinstated as a non-resident license.

In all cases, you don't have to take another license exam as long as your new license is obtained with 90 days of cancelling your old license.

Hope this helps.

Back