Salary + Comm + Remote Question, Please.

Videobroker

Greetings! Hope everyone is doing great!

I thrived as a real estate agent in Utah, generating around $70 million in gross sales. I was a top performer until the 2008 market crash. Now, re-entering the housing market seems bleak. My desire for stability have steered me towards exploring Property & Casualty (P&C) insurance sales. The prospect of a base salary (ideally $46,000) plus commissions is appealing.

I have several questions:
  1. Is it possible to secure a P&C agent position with a base salary? If so, which companies offer this structure?
  2. Remote work is crucial for me. While I maintain a Utah residence and driver's license, I plan to work remotely from Europe for at least a year before returning. I have family health issues going on there that require my presence.
  3. I'm committed to obtaining my Utah P&C license. I'm prepared for studying, exams, fingerprinting, and the entire licensing process.
  4. Does P&C sales offer residual income potential for retirement planning?
  5. I have good credit and a clean background.
  6. Additionally, I'm fluent in Portuguese, speak basic Spanish, and have some Polish proficiency. Thank you for any pointers.

So, yes.. most P&C companies will support Base+Comm in remote, you'll need your license first though.

As for working remotely in Europe... If you're working for more than 183 days abroad, they may require you file taxes there... Most companies aren't going to be down for that, at least independent agents.

Generally, no in regards to retirement planning. You do not own your book... the company/agent does.

If you're looking to open your own agency, that's outside of my wheelhouse...

P&C sales is a highly service oriented business. If you retire the renewals would need to be serviced. If you hire someone, you wont have much left over for yourself. If you are planning to service them yourself, you will be working to your 80's. THis is like buying a 24 unit rental apartment and managing it yourself for retirement income. You will never feel retired because you will so busy managing the rental. The overall value of selling your book at retirement used to be fine, but the valuation on the P&C side for things like auto and home insurance is really going down.

So, yes.. most P&C companies will support Base+Comm in remote, you'll need your license first though.

As for working remotely in Europe... If you're working for more than 183 days abroad, they may require you file taxes there... Most companies aren't going to be down for that, at least independent agents.

Generally, no in regards to retirement planning. You do not own your book... the company/agent does.

If you're looking to open your own agency, that's outside of my wheelhouse...

Thank you so much. I understand Europe. I have been living there for years. As for "most companies aren't going to be down for that" could you explain why or what the issues are?

They usually don't hire people if they don't want to work in the US. It's important to as your employer at an interview.

You'd probably have a good chance at a call center vs an insurer directly.

Back