• Do you have any victories you'd like to share for the month of May? Help us celebrate others by posting here.

Local Medicare offices not taking applications in person

Yes, however It is my understanding based on reading CMS Form 40b that this form is for people who already have Medicare Part A. Infact the from specifically asks for the Medicare Number.

Also on CMS form 40b it specifically states "NOTE: If you do not have Part A, do not complete this form. Contact Social Security if you want to apply for Medicare for the first time."

So CMS form 40b can not be used to enroll a t65 IEP beneficiary into Medicare for the first time. So if not Form 40b, then what form are people using to enroll into Medicare for the first time? I have looked and I cant find a specific form available for this situation.

I hear you but I haven't had a problem with it, either.

Go to ssa dot gov, scroll to the bottom > contact us > scroll to bottom > office locator > enter the zip

Chaz I do that . Yes it takes me to their website . But it doesn’t list the local # or fax # .

Chaz I do that . Yes it takes me to their website . But it doesn’t list the local # or fax # .

I don't think you're doing it right. Every time I put in a zip code I get a fax number AND the local office's 800 number.

So the specific question I would offer from his original post is how do those people (his clients or potential clients) calling SS get more reasonable current appointment times for a future Medicare enrollment by telephone

There are two issues right now:

1) Severe staff shortages
2) Post-covid policies.

If it were me, I'd do more to help clients enroll online. The pre pandemic system isn't going to work anymore.

To be fair, they probably aren't setting up appointments because agents aren't recording all their calls.

This might help.

https://ssofficelocation.com/

About half the offices in GA only show the TF number for SSA . . . the rest have a local TF number. Still, it can be a challenge finding a local office that will schedule a time to meet in person. I had 3 clients in the last few months that were told by SSA they would be REQUIRED to come in person and bring certain documents. I don't recall the circumstances, one involved a US citizen born on a military base in another country. They wanted a copy of his birth certificate and something else. Another was a SNAFU caused by incorrect spelling of the name on file with SSA. Don't recall what the problem was with another.

Two of them drove 60 miles to a small SSA office willing to help even though there was an office less than 10 miles away that refused to schedule an appointment until AFTER their Medicare could have been effective.

Back