Long Term Care and Medicare

Limozine

Super Genius
I have a client who has been on long term disability for several months. She has applied for disability through Social Security but it hasn't been approved yet. She currently has health insurance that she pays $170/mo for as a result of her long term disability, but it will go away whenever her LTD ends. She is turning 65 in April. Is there any reason she shouldn't go ahead and apply for Medicare A&B?

I have a client who has been on long term disability for several months. She has applied for disability through Social Security but it hasn't been approved yet. She currently has health insurance that she pays $170/mo for as a result of her long term disability, but it will go away whenever her LTD ends. She is turning 65 in April. Is there any reason she shouldn't go ahead and apply for Medicare A&B?

I would advise her to check with the SSA to ask how much her Medicare part B premium would cost. If it's the same or less than what she is paying now, I would advise her to go on Medicare and also apply for her SSA retirement benefits. Also, unless she has creditable health coverage through an employer with 20 or more employees, she needs to go on Medicare to avoid the late enrollment penalties.

Probably not but make sure her LTD end date is age 65 and not full SS retirement age like some LTD policies allow as some corps will keep employees on LTD as an active employee status even when on LTD claim.In theses cases a company may still be paying in to a 401k and for other benefits such as group life.

Back