Lots of jobs for life agents - but nothing for P&C agents...??

This may be a shock, but price is probably only 25% of the decision making process when it comes to things like auto insurance. People are very concerned about claims, support, feeling good about the company, etc. Now, if your price is 25% higher, you'll never get a deal, but if it's within reach, with a name brand recognition, you'll write deals all day long.

Here is the catch.... you have to know your product, and how it competes with other carriers products. For instance, I don't go after singles in their low 20's with one car. I don't have a competitive advantage for that market, it's all about price. I do extremely well with married couples in their 30's (and above) with a home, and a few children. Basically, I target mainstream, middle-income America. These policies also tend to stay 'put' once written, which is what StateFarm, AllState, Farmers, etc are looking for.

Give me a call (PM me for the number) and I'll give you the ins and outs of some of this.

Dan

How do you approach your target market and how do you sell car insurance? I work for an independent agency and we write policies if we have the lowest price. We can't seem to get away from price. Any advice would be grand! :idea:

Re: Lots of jobs for life agents - but nothing for P&C agents...?

I believe the independent route is far more rewarding for the agent. It really depends upon what appointments the agent has received. Here in SC, State Farm, Allstate, Nationwide, Farmers can't touch the Liberty Mutual subsidiaries. Our agency is really performing well against them in only 7 months out.

Progressive I think is getting rear in the auto market right now...their homeowners market share is nil though

How do you approach your target market and how do you sell car insurance? I work for an independent agency and we write policies if we have the lowest price. We can't seem to get away from price. Any advice would be grand!

Used to think the same thing. Changed the way we interview new potential clients this past year and found that almost 40% were shopping/comparing for reasons they rated as "more important" than price...bingo..hot button located!

Back