MA to Try Fee Per Patient

Crabcake Johnny

Guru
5000 Post Club
Maryland
Is seems MA. is going to try an experiment to move away from fee for service which they claim only results in unnecessary testing and procedures.

The new model? Fee per patient. The result? It'll swing from one extreme to the other. With doctors receiving a flat fee per patient the model will turn to "the less work per patient the better."

Massachusetts drafts plans for new system of paying doctors - The Boston Globe

"These provider groups generally would get a flat per-patient fee, along with incentives for high-quality care, hopefully eliminating the incentive for unnecessary tests and procedures, and encouraging greater focus on preventing serious health problems from developing in the first place."

I was thinking the exact same thing. Isn't that where doctors cram 150 patients in the waiting room then make a general announcement?

"Please form a line to pick up your prescription of amoxicillin. There is no need to wait for the doctor."

Until we have litigation reform, providers will not totally embrace a per capita rate as the sole form of compensation. Just another stupid government trick.

I think a capitation approach to medicaid is perfect.
MA is going broke over their universal health care. The state has started reducing the reimbursements to the hospitals. Some hospitals have had to sue to get paid.

Let all the medicaid people stand in line for treatment at the local clinic. Then they will die when they can't get a surgery.

This could be the answer to reducing costs. Once 2014 kicks in and we have 25-30 million move on to medicaid plans states are going to go broke.

Let MA bust out a HMO look a like and most of the doctors will run for cover.

Isn't that pretty much called an HMO?

Rick

Wo, wo, wo. Easy killer. Don't you start getting all techinical on us with your "capitation" this and your per-member per-month that. Next thing you we know you'll be saying there is a bonus plan for the PCP's if they keep their patients healthy. If that isn't HMO, I don't know what is.

Back