Making a DBA Name to Promote Niche Market?

Milkman1265

Guru
100+ Post Club
Do you guys think name matters?

I am thinking of creating a DBA so i can market a niche program i have or do you think i should just use my current name...

my current business name makes no sense at all for insurance products so i kinda regret it but i made the business name in a rush and i wanted to do business asap.

its pretty much "ABC Consulting Inc." So a lot of people do not know what product i sell and i am getting tired of explaining i am a insurance agency.

What do you guys think i should do?

Do you guys think name matters?

I am thinking of creating a DBA so i can market a niche program i have or do you think i should just use my current name...

my current business name makes no sense at all for insurance products so i kinda regret it but i made the business name in a rush and i wanted to do business asap.

its pretty much "ABC Consulting Inc." So a lot of people do not know what product i sell and i am getting tired of explaining i am a insurance agency.

What do you guys think i should do?

I'm not sure what state your in but you should definitely check your DOI's regulations regarding DBA names. In California, ABC Consulting Inc. would not be an acceptable name for an insurance agency. See: business entity faq and DBA name approval critera.

Specifically this section:
3. Am I required to use the word "insurance" in my name"?

Yes, this is a requirement under California Code or Regulations section 2052.4(c). You must denote insurance production within the name you wish to use for insurance business.

Your state may be different but I would recommend you at least check

But to answer your question, I would highly recommend you use a name you can actually build a brand around. Here is a picture of my top 6 traffic generating keywords:

#'s 2,3, and 5 are are all branded keywords that people use to search my company. They have the highest pages/visit, time on site, and lowest bounce rate. With the way people shop online now, it is extremely important to have a brand people can trust and eventually recognize.

Last edited:
ah yes, i dont want to keep promoting "consulting" when i am a insurance agency, its very tough, because i tend to have to explain what i do.

It's ok in my state, the name had to be approved by the insurance department before they even let me get a license.

For the east coast, i got approval from various states so i am fine there, but also if i do ABC Insurance Agency, do i need new licensing and contracts? So much to change, silly me for rushing to getting a corp formed.

Back